Pipavav Port Regained Top Position in Seafood Exports for Second Consecutive Year
Pipavav port located in Saurashtra, Gujarat, remained at the top most position for second year in a row in FY13 on the basis of quantity.
Pipavav port, the first private sector port of India located in Saurashtra, Gujarat, remained at the top most position for second year in a row in FY13 on the basis of quantity. The Pipavav port registered a jump of 6 percent in comparison to 2012-13 financial year. The reason why Pipavav port remained a forerunner in terms of quantity was because it handled lot of pre-processed fish.
The export figures by the Marine Products Export Development Authority revealed that Pipavav port handled 233738 tonnes of marine exports in 2013-14 in comparison to 219801 tonnes in 2012-13 fiscal year. In terms of value, nevertheless, Kochi as well as Vizag ports shared almost equal share of earning, i.e., 3344.97 crore and Rs 3265.64 crore respectively in 2013-14 financial year. Vizag registered 26.12 percent jump in terms of value, while Kochi registered 14.22 percent. Pipavav, on the other hand, registered 3 percent increase from 2710.34 crore to 2808.25 crore Rupees.
South-east Asia was the largest buyer of marine products. This was followed by EU, US, Japan, China and Middle East.
About the Pipavav port
• Pipavav port is the first private sector port of India on West Coast.
• The lead promoter of this port is APM Terminals, which is among the largest container terminal operators in the world.
• This port is meant for the liquid cargo, bulk cargo as well as containers.
• The services offered by this port include logistics support, cargo handling as well as pilotage and towage. The port handles bulk, container as well as liquid cargo.
• Pipavav port is situated in Saurashtra, Gujarat, at a distance of 90 km South of Amreli.
• In the year 1998, the concession was given to Gujarat Pipavav Port Limited by Gujarat Maritime Board. Then in the year 2000, this port went into the Joint Venture with Indian Railways in order to initiate Pipavav Rail Corporation Limited. The commercial operations of the port kicked off in the year 2002.
• The Pipavav port is situated along the major trade routes and is also in proximity with major Indian Port of Nhava Sheva.
• The Pipavav port is the captive reefer port.