Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 15, 2018 addressed the country on the occasion of the 72nd Independence Day at Red Fort, Delhi.
PM Modi highlighted the overall achievements during the past year, important social issues and also drew attention on further developments in the country.
Here are the Key highlights of PM Modi’s Independence Day Speech 2018
Constitutional status to the OBC commission
The demand to give constitutional status to the OBC commission had been raised for years. This year during the Monsoon Parliament Session 2018, the parliament accorded the constitutional status to the OBC commission in an effort to protect the interests of backward classes.
Developments in the North East Region
• The last village in the North East has been electrified.
• Developments in highways, railways, airways, waterways and information ways (I-ways) from North East.
• Our youths from the North East are establishing BPO in their areas.
• The North East region has turned to be a hub of organic farming.
• Sports university is being set up in North East.
• There was a time when North East felt distant from Delhi but within last four years we have succeeded to get Delhi to the threshold of North East.
Tripura and Meghalaya liberated from AFSPA
With the efforts of security forces, the State Governments, and also due to the implementation of Central and State Government developmental schemes, Tripura and Meghalaya have been liberated from the Armed Forces Special Power Act.
Inclusive initiatives of the government
Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana Abhiyan (Ayushman Bharat)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of world's largest government-funded programme – ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan’. It will be launched on the birth anniversary of Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyay on September 25, 2018.
Under this scheme, any person can get relief from diseases by going to the good hospitals. The healthcare initiative will have a positive impact on 50 crore Indians under Ayushman Bharat.
Under the Ayushman Bharat, 10 crore families will be able to get health insurance benefits, it means nearly 50 crore citizens will be covered. Each family will get 5 lakh rupees health coverage annually.
Launch of 'Gaganyaan' by 2022
PM Modi announces manned space mission taking Indian astronauts to space on board 'Gaganyaan' by 2022. India will be the fourth country to do this. Prior to the actual launch of this manned mission by 2022, the ISRO will have two unmanned missions and spacecraft will be launched using GSLV Mark-III.
With the help of scientists, India will be launching ‘NAVIC’ which will be very useful for the fishermen and others.
Doubling of farmer’s income
• For the first time, India is progressing in the path of Agriculture Export Policy so as to enable farmers to emerge powerful in the world market.
• Now new avenues of organic farming, blue revolution, sweet revolution, solar farming have emerged.
• To bring modernisation and advancement in the field of agriculture, the country will witness the increase in farmer’s income to almost double by 75th year of Independence.
• India looks forward to adopt value addition right from ‘seeds - to –market’.
• The farmers are now focussing on solar farming, a move that will enable them to contribute to agriculture and at the same time earn money by sale of solar energy.
Swatch Bharat Abhiyaan to be completed in 2019
India has succeeded to mobilise ‘Swatchagrahis’. On the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, crores of Swatchagrahis plan to pay tribute to respected Gandhiji in the form of Swatch Bharat in 2019. According to WHO report, 3 lakh children have been saved because of Swachchta Campaign.
Further Developments in the field of health
New avenues are emerging for middle class families and youth in the field of health. New hospitals will be constructed in 2 tier and 3 tier cities. Medical staff will be established in huge numbers. Employment opportunities will be more in the years to come.
100 years of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre
The year 2019 will mark 100 years of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
Appointment of women officers in the Armed Forces
Through Short Service Commission, women officers will be appointed in the Armed Forces of India. Transparency will be maintained in this process. Women officials will be treated at par with male counterparts.
Ban on instant Triple Talak
Triple Talak has endangered the lives of Muslim women. Those who did not get Talak (divorce) are also sailing in the same boat. During the Monsoon Parliament Session 2018, the government has introduced the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017 to make instant triple talaq a criminal offence. The Bill is yet to be passed by the parliament.
Initiatives for rural people of Jammu and Kashmir
• In the months to come, rural people of Jammu and Kashmir will be able to enjoy their rights. They will be able to take care of themselves.
• The funds that the central government gives to the Gram Panchayaths of the state will be useful for development.
• The government has also arranged for the elections to panchayats and local institutions.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider