PV Sindhu loses to Japan’s Yamaguchi in Dubai World Superseries final
India’s ace shuttler, P V Sindhu had to settle for the silver medal at the BWF Dubai World Series Finals 2017 in Dubai, UAE after she went down fighting against Japan’s top-seeded Akane Yamaguchi. This is the third major event in the last two years where Sindhu has had to settle for silver.
India’s ace shuttler, P V Sindhu had to settle for the silver medal at the BWF Dubai World Series Finals 2017 in Dubai, UAE on 17 December 2017, after she went down fighting against Japan’s top-seeded Akane Yamaguchi.
Sindhu lost to Yamaguchi by 15-21, 21-12, 21-19 in a match that lasted for an hour and 34 minutes. Considering her unbeaten streak and the fact that she had already defeated Yamaguchi at the group stage, Sindhu was the clear favourite before the summit clash began.
However, with the loss, this is the third major event in the last two years where Sindhu has had to settle for silver after a second-place finish at Rio Olympics 2016 and BWF World Championships 2017. Overall though, Sindhu’s run in 2017 has been a successful one, as she previously won the India Open Super Series and Korea Super Series.
• Sindhu began the match and claimed the first point.
• Despite the good beginning, Yamaguchi shot right back to take four points in a row to lead 4-2.
• Sindhu then displayed some excellent defensive shots to level the scores at 8-8.
• Despite trailing for the most part of the first half of the opening game, Sindhu won six straight points to stage an 11-8 lead.
• Later, Sindhu kept up her momentum and hit her aggressive streak to smoothly claim the first game 21-15.
• Though Sindhu started the second game with the same momentum and raced to a 5-0 lead, her physical strain was evident, giving chance to Yamaguchi to surge ahead.
• After the Japanese set up her lead, Sindhu came under pressure and started making mistakes.
• Though the deciding match also began with Sindhu maintaining a comfortable lead at 4-0, Yamaguchi yet again made a came back to level the scores at 5-5.
• The decider was very close with both players almost neck-to-neck with each other.
• Sindhu fought with brilliant all-court play and precise flat smashes to keep the game tied at 19-19.
• However, with two unfortunate errors, the game slipped from Sindhu at 19-21 and she had to settle for silver.
About 2017 BWF Super Series
• The Dubai World Superseries Finals 2017 was the final competition of the 2017 BWF Super Series.
• It was held from 13 to 17 December 17 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
• The Super Series finals is an annual badminton tournament that is held at the end of the year, which involves 8 top-ranked badminton players.
• The first-ever edition of the tournament was held in 2008 in Malaysia.
• The ranks are decided according to the players’ performance in that calendar year's twelve events of the BWF Super Series.
• The total prize money for the event is at least US$ 1,000,000.