Real Madrid on 8 August 2017 defeated Manchester United, the winners of the 2016–17 UEFA Europa League, to grab the 2017 UEFA Super Cup.
Real Madrid won the match 2–1 for their fourth UEFA Super Cup title.
The match was played at the Philip II Arena in Skopje, Macedonia. It was the first UEFA final staged in the country.
Real Madrid’s Isco was declared the Man of the Match.
About UEFA Super Cup
• The UEFA Super Cup is an annual football match organised by the UEFA.
• It is contested by the reigning champions of the two main European club competitions, the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.
• The most successful teams in the competition are Barcelona and Italian side Milan, who have won the trophy five times each.
• Real Madrid was the winner of the 2016 UEFA Super Cup.
About Real Madrid
• The Madrid Football Club was founded in 6 March 1902.
• The word Real is Spanish for Royal and was bestowed to the club by King Alfonso XIII in 1920 together with the royal crown in the emblem.
• The club was estimated to be worth USD 3.65 billion in 2015, and in the 2014–15 season it was the world's highest-earning football club.
• The team is one of three founding members of La Liga that have never been relegated from the top division, along with Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona.
• Real Madrid was recognised as the FIFA Club of the 20th Century on 11 December 2000, and received the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit on 20 May 2004.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider