The Regional conference of State Labour Ministers and Principal Secretaries of Labour of North Eastern States was held on 5 January 2017 in Guwahati, Assam.
The conference was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal. It was held in the presence of Bandaru Dattatreya, the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labour and Employment.
In the conference, Bandaru Dattatreya highlighted various labour reforms that were under taken by the government to ensure job security and social security of workers including the National Career Service Project.
He stated that out of 100 model career centres to be established in India, 18 will be set up in North East States.
The minister also elaborated on the following initiatives of the Union Government that are aimed at improving the conditions of labour.
• The minimum wages for all sectors in the central sphere has been increased by more than 42%
• ESI coverage on wage ceiling has been increased from Rs. 15000 to 21000
• Minimum pension under EPS has been revised to Rs. 1000 in perpetuity per month
• Bonus ceiling has been enhanced from Rs. 3500 to 7000 and the eligibility limit has been raised from Rs. 10000 to 21000
• EDLI benefit increased from 3.6 lakh to 6.0
• Time limit reduced to 20 days from 30 days for EPF claim settlements
• Optional Deferment of age for drawing pension from 58 years to 60 years with 4% per year incentive
• Under the revised scheme for the rehabilitation of Bonded Labour, the quantum of financial assistance has been increased from the symbolic level of Rs. 20000 to Rs. 3 lakh.
• The Union Cabinet approved the Model shops and establishment (Regulation of Employment and conditions of Service) Bill, 2016.
• The Model bill gives freedom to establishments to operate 365 days in a year.
• A process has been set in motion for the simplification of 43 labour laws into 4 major labour codes like code on wages, code on Industrial relations, code as Social Security and Welfare and Code on safety and working conditions.
When: 5 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.