North-eastern state Sikkim on October 12, 2018 won the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation's (FAO) Future Policy Award 2018 for being the world's first 100 percent organic state.
Sikkim defeated 51 nominated policies from 25 countries, winning the Gold Prize of the Future Policy Award 2018, also known as “Oscar for Best Policies”.
As per the press release, “Sikkim is the first organic state in the world. All of its farmland is certified organic… Embedded in its design are socioeconomic aspects such as consumption and market expansion, cultural aspects as well as health, education, rural development and sustainable tourism.”
Moreover, Future Policy Award’s Silver Prize 2018 was awarded to the policies from Brazil, Denmark and Quito (Ecuador).
All the winners received the awards in a ceremony on October 15, 2018 at FAO headquarters during the celebrations of the World Food Week in Rome.
Sikkim’s policy and achievement
Future Policy Award’s Silver Prize 2018
• Brazil’s National Policy for Agroecology and Organic Production (PNAPO, 2012) helped 5300 municipalities to invest 30 percent or more of their school feeding budgets in organic and agroecological products purchased from family farmers.
• Denmark’s Organic Action Plan (2011-2020, updated in 2015) has helped Denmark in having the highest market share of organic products in the world, with almost 80 percent of Danes purchasing organic food.
• Quito’s Participatory Urban Agriculture Programme (AGRUPAR, 2002) led to the growth of over 3 600 urban gardens on 32 hectares. More than 21000 people got trained under the programme.
The Vision Award 2018 of the FAO was conferred upon the TEEBAgriFood, an initiative of “The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity” (TEEB) by UN Environment. TEEBAgriFood developed a comprehensive evaluation framework for food systems to value food more accurately.
The three Honourable Mentions of the Future Policy Award 2018 went to the Good Food Purchasing Policy of Los Angeles, USA (2012); the Agriculture Development Programme of Ndiob, Senegal (2017); and to the From Arms to Farms Programme of Kauswagan, the Philippines (2011).
The Future Policy Award 2018: Topic and Organisers
• Every year, the World Future Council chooses a topic for the Future Policy Award on which policy progress is particularly urgent.
• The world’s best laws and policies promoting agroecology were awarded the 2018 Future Policy Award.
• The 2018 Award highlighted policies that scale up agroecology to contribute to the protection of life of small-scale food producers, ensure sustainable food production systems and implement climate resilient agricultural practices.
• This year’s award was co-organised by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the World Future Council (WFC) and IFOAM – Organics International.
• The award was supported by Green Cross International; DO-IT – Dutch Organic International Trade, Sekem Group, Egypt; and EcorNaturaSi, Italy.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Open Defecation in India: All north-eastern states to become ODF by December 2018
Union Agriculture Ministry launches NCDC’s 'Yuva Sahakar Scheme' to promote young entrepreneurs
ISRO successfully launches communication satellite GSAT-29
India, Morocco sign agreement for assistance in legal and commercial matters