The world’s largest annual food event, Gulfood 2017 was officially inaugurated by the Deputy Ruler of Dubai and UAE Minister of Finance, Shaikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum at the Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC) on 26 February 2017.
The five-day exhibition, which will continue till 2 March 2017, is expected to witness participation from over 90,000 food professionals from 150 countries across the world.
• Among the exhibitors are 64 Indian exporters dealing in a range of Agriculture and Processed Food products.
• The exporters are participating under the banner of the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA).
• The organisation falls under the Indian Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
• The APEDA pavilion was inaugurated by Commerce Secretary, Rita Teaotia.
APEDA is responsible for the promotion and development of the export of various Agricultural products.
Hence, Gulfood 2017 is a significant event for the body, as UAE poses as a potential market for several Indian food products including fresh fruits & vegetables, basmati rice, buffalo meat, processed fruits, wheat, cereals and dairy products.
India is one of the largest food producers in the world. It exports agricultural products to more than 80 countries across the globe. During the years 2015 and 2016, the country’s exports stood at USD 16.19 billion.
• The event is the world’s largest annual food and beverage exhibition.
• This year, it is celebrating its 22nd edition.
• Launched as a biennial event in 1987, the exhibition has grown to encourage food and beverage trade between more than 120 countries annually.
• It enables over 5000 providers of raw ingredients and materials to showcase the innovations, tastes and trends, which are shaping the future of food and beverage consumption globally.
• The business to business trade exhibition is managed and hosted by the Dubai World Trade Centre.