The Union Government on 10 November 2014 imposed fresh restrictions on foreign tours by bureaucrats. The government restricted their official overseas visits to four in a year.
Restrictions imposed on overseas travels by bureaucrats
- If the officer exceeds four visits, he will need to furnish detailed justification and such visits will be allowed only in exceptional cases depending on functional need.
- The order further stipulated that travel expenses for officials for participating in conferences, study tours and presentation of papers will be borne by the sponsors.
- Foreign travel by the officers at the expense of Public Sector Units (PSUs) shall be discouraged, unless the journey is undertaken specifically in connection with the affairs of the concerned PSU.
- The size of the delegation and the duration of the visit shall be kept at absolute minimum.
- Secretary-level officers shall not go abroad unless their presence is essential and the officers of the level of additional secretary or joint secretary cannot be substituted for them.