The Union Government on 24 December 2016 launched ‘Smart Consumer’ mobile App to provide speedy redressal of consumer grievances.
Besides, the government also launched an Online Consumer Mediation Centre (OCMC) and a helpline number 14404 for redressal of consumer related grievances. These initiatives will benefit the consumers in the digital world.
The government also launched a microsite based on the theme 'Digitally Safe Consumer Campaign' to help consumers for being vigilant and not falling prey to cyber frauds.
All these launches were made on the occasion of National Consumer Day that is observed on 24 December every year.
Highlights of Online Consumer Mediation Centre (OCMC)
• The OCMC was launched in association with Bengaluru based National Law School of India University (NLSIU) to provide speedy redressal of consumer grievances.
• It will encourage consumers and companies to go for pre-litigation and will also provide them with an option to settle disputes harmoniously.
• Initially, the OCMC will only deal with cases related to e-commerce companies.
• It will also facilitate online and physical mediation between consumers and companies.
About 'Digitally Safe Consumer Campaign'
• The campaign will be launched in January 2017 by Google India in partnership with the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs.
• This year-long campaign will be focussed on building capacities of consumer organisations and counsellors on internet safety and related issues.
• The campaign will reach out to over 1200 consumer organisations as well as consumer affairs department of every state across the country.
• It will also feature write ups, posters, interactive quizzes and audio-visuals to educate users about the challenges of internet safety and security.
• This campaign will add to Google’s existing campaigns guiding users to navigate the web and manage their digital lives safely.
• Google will also work towards advocating digital security and privacy needs through workshops training about 500 people.
When: 24 December 2016