United Nations Day: 24 October
The United Nations Day 2016 was observed across the world on 24 October 2016. The day marks the anniversary of the entry into force of the UN Charter (the founding document of UNO) in 1945.
In 2016, UN Day will be used to highlight concrete actions people can take to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
On this day, the UN also organise a concert to celebrate and reflect on the work of the United Nations through the universal language of music. This year, Korean Traditional Music Orchestra, Lang Lang, world famous Harlem Gospel Choir, the Hungarian State Opera with performances by soprano Andrea Rost and other notable artists will be organised at the UN General Assembly Hall. In 2016, the theme of the concert is Freedom First.
About Charter of the United Nations
• The UN Charter of 1945 is the foundational treaty of the United Nations.
• It was signed at the San Francisco War Memorial and Performing Arts Center in San Francisco, United States, on 26 June 1945, by 50 of the 51 original member countries.
• It entered into force on 24 October 1945, after being ratified by the original five permanent members of the Security Council.
• As a charter, it is a constituent treaty, and all members are bound by its articles.
• Furthermore, Article 103 of the Charter states that obligations to the United Nations prevail over all other treaty obligations.
• United Nations Day is devoted to making known to people of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations Organization.
• United Nations Day is part of United Nations Week, which runs from 20 to 26 October.
• In 1948, the United Nations General Assembly declared 24 October, the anniversary of the Charter of the United Nations.
• In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a further resolution (United Nations Resolution 2782) declaring that United Nations Day shall be an international holiday and recommended that it should be observed as a public holiday by all United Nations member states.
Where: Across the world
When: 24 October 2016