Veteran music director and violinist Uttam Singh on 27 September 2016 was named for the 2016 Lata Mangeshkar Award for Lifetime Achievement of the Maharashtra Government.
The award carries a citation, a trophy and 500000 rupees in cash.
About Uttam Singh
• Born on 25 May 1948, Uttam Singh has worked as a violinist, music arranger and music director for many Bollywood films.
• He worked as a music arranger for Ilaiyaraaja in numerous Tamil films before establishing himself as an independent composer.
• His big break came in 1963, when he worked as a violinist for a documentary being made by Mohammad Safi. After this, Uttam Singh played violin for major composers including Naushad, Roshan, Madan Mohan, C. Ramchandra, Sachin Dev Burman.
• Later, he became the main violinist for Rahul Dev Burman.
• His songs and score for the movie Pinjar won him much critical acclaim. It is considered to be his finest work as composer.
About Lata Mangeshkar Award
• The Lata Mangeshkar Award is a national-level award instituted to honour works in the field of music.
• Various state governments of India present awards with this name.
• The state Government of Madhya Pradesh started this award in 1984.
• The Lata Mangeshkar Award issued by the Maharashtra Government started from 1992. This is also officially known as Lata Mangeshkar Award for Lifetime Achievement.
• Krishna Kalle was the winner of the 2014 Lata Mangeshkar Award for Lifetime Achievement.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Uttam Singh
When: 27 September 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.