Veteran South Indian classical vocalists Sanjay Subrahmanyam was on 1 January 2016 conferred with the 2015 Sangita Kalanidhi award. The prestigious award was conferred upon him by mathematician Manjul Bhargava at 89th annual conference of the Madras Music Academy in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
With this, Subrahmanyam became seventh artist to be conferred with this award before completing 50 years of age including Ariyakudi Iyengar, Musiri Subramania Iyer, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, GN Balasubramaniam, ML Vasanthakumari and M Balamuralikrishna.
About Sanjay Subrahmanyam
• Subrahmanyam is Charted Accountant by profession but in 2000, he became full-time musician.
• He started performing Carnatic music in 1987.
• He has also been awarded with various awards for his compositions including Gaana Padhmam (2013), Vani Kala Sudhakara (2010) and the title Kalaimamani by Tamil Nadu Government (2006).
About Sangita Kalanidhi award/Title
• It is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
• The award’s name has been derived from Sanskrit language which means treasure of Music and art in English.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: Tamil Nadu
When: 1 January 2016