The Minister of Women and Child Development, Maneka Sanjay Gandhi will be giving away National Level Awards to Anganwadi workers at New Delhi on 31 August 2017.
The annual awards aim to recognize the exemplary service by the Anganwadi workers in the field of child development and related areas under the Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme.
• The scheme for awarding Anganwadi workers at the National and State levels was formulated in 2000-2001.
• The National Level award comprises a cash prize worth Rs 25000 and a citation, while the State Level award comprises a cash prize of Rs 5000 and a citation.
• The awards for the years 2011-12 onwards were conferred during the last two years.
• The latest awards function includes awards for the year 2016-17.
National Level Awardees’ Selection
• The national level awards are given to those nominated by the States/UTs out of the State/UT level awardees.
• The number of nominations of the Anganwadi workers at the National Level depends on the size of the State/UT and operational ICDS Projects.
• The nominations received from the States/UTs are screened by a Selection Committee following which the final selection is made.
About ICDS Scheme
Launched on 2 October 1975, the scheme is one of the flagship programmes of the Government of India.
It represents one of the world’s largest and unique programmes for early childhood care and development.
The beneficiaries of the Scheme are children between the age group of 0-6 years, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
Main objectives of the scheme:
• To improve the nutritional and health status of children in the age-group 0-6 years.
• To lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of the child.
• To reduce the incidence of mortality, morbidity, malnutrition and school dropout.
• To achieve effective co-ordination of policy and implementation amongst the various departments to promote child development.
• To enhance the capability of the mother to look after the normal health and nutritional needs of the child through proper nutrition and health education.
When: 31 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider