1 October to 7 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like 2018 Nobel Peace Prize, fourth Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement and International Solar Alliance among others.
1. Which state was awarded as the best state under the Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2018?
2. Who won the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize?
a) Nadia Murad
b) George P Smith
c) Oprah Winfrey
d) Sir Gregory P Winter
3. India recently signed a USD 5.43 billion deal to procure the S-400 Triumf missile system from which country?
d) South Korea
4. In its fourth Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement for 2018-19, the RBI fixed the Repo Rate at what percent?
a) 7.5 percent
b) 5.5 percent
c) 6.0 percent
d) 6.5 percent
5. Chanda Kochhar has quit her position as the CEO and MD of this bank with immediate effect.
6. International Court of Justice has ordered the United States to ease its sanctions on which nation?
7. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance in which city?
b) New Delhi
8. Frances H. Arnold, George P. Smith, Sir Gregory P. Winter won the 2018 Nobel Prize in which field?
9. Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi became the first person to be stripped off which honour?
a) Canadian citizenship
b) US Green Card
c) Nobel Peace Prize
d) Myanmar leadership
10. Who was awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine?
a) James P Allison and Tasuku Honjo
b) Michael W. Young and Michael Rosbash
c) Jeffrey C. Hall and Yoshinori Ohsumi
d) Tu Youyou and Satoshi Omura
11. The Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth year celebrations were launched on October 2, 2018, marking the beginning of the final year of the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM). When was the mission launched?
12. Which two countries have reached a deal to replace NAFTA?
a) US and Canada
b) Canada and Mexico
c) UK and US
d) Russia and China
1. (b) Haryana
Haryana was ranked as the best State, while Satara District of Maharashtra was ranked as the best district as per the ranking undertaken by Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2018. Uttar Pradesh was rewarded for maximum citizens’ participation.
2. (a) Nadia Murad
The Norwegian Nobel Committee on October 5, 2018 awarded the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict”.
3. (c) Russia
India and Russia on October 5, 2018 signed a USD 5.43 billion deal for India to procure the S-400 Triumf missile system from Russia. The deal was signed following the 19th India-Russia Annual Bilateral Summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin and other delegates.
4. (d) 6.5 percent
The Reserve Bank of India, in an unexpected move, decided to hold the repo rate at 6.5 percent. The MPC voted 5:1 and RBI committee shifted to 'calibrated tightening stance'.
5. (a) ICCI
The ICCI Bank CEO and MD, Chanda Kochhar quit her position with immediate effect on October 4, 2018. The announcement came after her plea for early retirement was accepted by the bank. Sandeep Bakhshi, who was appointed as the bank's COO in June 2018, has been named to succeed Kochhar as the bank’s new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
6. (b) Iran
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has ordered the US to ease sanctions it re-imposed on Iran after abandoning a nuclear deal in May. The Court ruled that the US had to remove "any impediments" to the export of humanitarian goods, including food, medicine and aviation safety equipment.
7. (b) New Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 2, 2018 inaugurated the first Assembly of the International Solar Alliance at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi in the presence of the United Nations’ Secretary General Antonio Guterres.
8. (c) Chemistry
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences on October 3, 2018 awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with one half to Frances H. Arnold “for the directed evolution of enzymes” and the other half jointly to George P. Smith and Sir Gregory P. Winter “for the phage display of peptides and antibodies”.
9. (a) Canadian citizenship
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi became the first person to be stripped off the honorary Canadian citizenship over her refusal to call out atrocities by her nation's military against the Rohingya Muslim minority.
10. (a) James P Allison and Tasuku Honjo
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet on October 1, 2018 awarded the 2018 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine jointly to James P. Allison and Tasuku Honjo “for their discovery of cancer therapy by inhibition of negative immune regulation”.
11. (b) 2014
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) on October 2, 2014 with an aim to build a Clean and Open Defecation Free (ODF) India by October 2, 2019 as a befitting tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary.
12. (a) US and Canada
The United States and Canada reached a deal on September 30, 2018 to salvage NAFTA as a trilateral pact with Mexico, beating a midnight deadline with agreements to substantially boost American access to Canada's dairy market and protect Canada from possible US auto tariffs.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week