World Population Day 2016 observed with theme Investing in teenage girls
The World Population Day aims at increasing people's awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights.
11 July: World Population Day
World Population Day was observed on 11 July 2016 with theme Investing in teenage girls.
The theme focuses on the empowerment of teenage girls.
Challenges faced by teenage girls
• Many teenage girls around the globe are considered by their communities or parents to be ready for marriage and motherhood.
• Among girls who stay in school, they lack access to basic information about their health, human rights and reproductive rights. It leaves them vulnerable to illness, injury and exploitation.
• These challenges are exacerbated among marginalized girls, such as members of ethnic minorities or those living in poverty or remote areas.
About World Population Day
• World Population Day is an annual event observed on 11 July every year.
• The day seeks to raise awareness of global population issues.
• The event was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989.
• The day aims at increasing people's awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights.
• The world population as of 1 January 2014 is estimated to be 7137661030.
• The theme of the 2015 World Population Day was Vulnerable Populations in Emergencies.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App