GK Questions and Answers on Artificial Propagation of Plants
The process of growing many plants from one plant by man-made methods is called artificial propagation of plants. A number of methods of artificial propagation of plants are used in agriculture and horticulture. There are three common methods for the artificial propagation of plants namely Cuttings, Layering and Grafting. This article deals with these methods and importance of artificial propagation of plants in the form of Questions and Answers.
1. Which of the following statements are correct about artificial vegetative propagation of plants?
A. We get seedless plants by this method.
B. By artificial propagation many plants can be grown from just one parent.
C. The new plants produced by this method will be exactly like the parent plants.
D. All the above
The process of growing many plants from one plant by man-made methods is called artificial propagation of plants. And above mentioned options are the advantages of this method.
2. Name a method in which the cut stems of two different plants are joined together to grow as a single plant?
D. None of the above
Grafting is a method in which the cut stems of two different plants one with roots and other without roots are joined together in such a way that the two stems join and grow as a single plant.
3. Name the method of asexual reproduction in plants in which callus is produced?
B. Micro propagation
D. Vegetative Propagation
The hormones make the cells in the plant tissue divide rapidly producing many cells which forms a shapeless lump of mass called ‘callus’. The production of plants by the method of tissue culture is also known as micro propagation because small amount of plant material is used.
4. In which artificial propagation method Stock and Scion are involved?
A. Tissue Culture
The cut stem of a plant having roots is called stock and the cut stem of another plant without roots is called scion.
What is Tissue Culture and its importance in Plants?
5. In Lemon and China rose plant which method of artificial propagation is used?
D. Tissue Culture
In layering method, a branch of the plant is pulled towards the ground and a part of it is covered with moist soil leaving the tip of the ranch exposed above the ground.
6. What type of artificial propagation method is used in sugarcane, banana and cactus trees?
A small part of a plant which is removed by making a cut with a sharp knife is called cutting. And above mentioned plants are grown by means of cutting.
7. In Apple, peach, apricot and pear trees what type of artificial propagation method is used?
D. Both A and B
Grafting enables us to combine the most desirable characteristics of the two plants scion and stock in its flowers and fruits.
8. The method of artificial propagation of plants are used in:
A. Agriculture for raising crops
C. Both A and B
D. Neither A nor B
The method of artificial propagation of plants is used in Agriculture for raising crops and horticulture that is cultivation of vegetables, fruits and flowers.
9. Artificial propagation of plants is done by how many methods?
Artificial propagation of plants is done by three methods i.e. Cuttings, Layering and Grafting.
10. In which method of artificial propagation of plants the parts of branches which are buried in soil grow their own roots?
D. Both B and C
In layering method the parts of branches which are buried in soil grow their own roots.
With the help of above questions we understood what is artificial propagation of plants and how many methods are involved in it.