World Bicycle Day 2022: On June 3 (Friday), the Department of Youth Services and Sports, in association with Nehru Yuva Kendra, will celebrate World Bicycle Day to promote fitness and sustainable development. Mysuru has taken a few initiatives and implemented the public bicycle sharing project. It has received a warm response. Now, authorities plan to have new tracks apart from the purchase of nearly 1,000 new bicycles. The existing system is also set to be revamped with the establishment of dockless stations incorporating new technologies and the development of a nearly 9-kilometer stretch of cycling track.
As per WHO, safe infrastructure for walking and cycling is also a pathway for achieving greater health equity. Also, improved active transport is not only healthy but also equitable and cost-effective.
Union Minister @ianuragthakur to launch the Nationwide programs on #WorldBicycleDay from Major Dhyan Chand Stadium in New Delhi tomorrow
Minister along with 750 Young Cyclists will peddle on 7.5 km distance
Read here: https://t.co/quP8QrMeQh
Youth Volunteers & Members of Youth Clubs will also take up these Cycle Rallies in all blocks of the country!
• 9.68 Lakh Km distance will be covered
• 1.29 Lakh Young Cyclists
“FITNESS KI DOSE AADHA GHANTA ROZ”
Are you ready? pic.twitter.com/Xz8TzW9LIj
World Bicycle Day highlights the attention towards the benefits of using the bicycle which is a simple, affordable, clean, and environmentally fit sustainable means of transportation. It is celebrated on 3rd June.
The day celebrates the uniqueness, durability, and versatility of the bicycle and promotes it as a simple, sustainable means of transportation.
Bicycle is good for physical and mental health, also it is good for the environment and the economy. No doubt cycling is a wonderful workout and keeps you active. It helps to shape a healthy lifestyle.
If you want to be fit and healthy you should be physically active. Regular physical activity can help in protecting against several diseases including obesity, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, diabetes, arthritis, etc. Bicycle riding regularly is a good option to be fit and also reduce the risk of health problems based on lifestyle.
World Bicycle Day: History
The United Nations General Assembly declared June 3 as World Bicycle Day, acknowledging the individuality, durability, and versatility of the bicycle, which has been in use for two centuries. The day will encourage the stakeholders to understand, emphasize, and advance the use of the bicycle in fostering sustainable development, strengthening education for children and young people, promoting health, preventing diseases, facilitating social inclusion, cultivating a culture of peace, etc.
The initiatives are also welcomed by the Assembly at national and local levels as a means for strengthening physical and mental health and also to develop a culture of cycling in society.
World Bicycle Day: Significance
According to the UN,
- It encourages the Member States to focus on various development strategies and include bicycles in international, regional, national, and sub-national development policies and programmes.
- It encourages the Member States to upgrade road safety and merge it into sustainable mobility and transport infrastructure planning and design. Also to protect and promote pedestrian safety and cycling mobility for better health outcomes.
- The day encourages the Member States to opt for best practices and means to promote bicycles among all the members of the society and to organise bicycle rides at national and local levels for strengthening physical and mental health and well-being.
Health benefits of the bicycle
Cycling is a kind of aerobic activity in which the heart, blood vessels, and lungs all get a workout. It will increase the overall fitness level by experiencing increased body temperature via cycling.
- It increases muscle strength and flexibility.
- It decreases stress levels.
- Increases cardiovascular fitness.
- It improves the mobility of joints.
- It improves posture and coordination.
- It strengthened bones.
- It helps in decreasing body fat levels.
- It helps in the prevention or management of diseases.
- It helps in reducing anxiety and depression.
- Obesity and weight control.
Therefore, World Bicycle Day encourages that cycling is a great exercise, environment friendly, and enhances the fitness level and well-being.