It is said that:
“Health is Wealth.”
“Health is the relationship between you and your body.”
“He who has health has hope and he who has hope has everything.”
As defined by World Health Organization (WHO), Health is a "State of complete physical, mental, and social well being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."It is the most important aspect of our existence which can’t be ignored.
We all know various types of diseases are there in the Environment due to which people are suffering. It is necessary to spread awareness among people and to give knowledge about health. For this, every year on 7 April World Health Day is observed under the leadership of the World Health Organisation to draw attention among the mass people towards the importance of global health.
Theme of World Health Day 2018
The theme of the World Health Day 2018 is Universal Health Coverage: everyone, everywhere. It is said that good Health provides better capabilities to work as per the need of the growing World and so is very important.
World Health Organisation (WHO) was founded on the principle that all people should be able to realise their right to the highest possible level of health.
Slogan “Health for all” is for more than seven decades as a guiding vision. It is an impetus behind various organisations to support the countries towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
Do you know that in the year 1995 the theme of World Health Day was Global Polio Eradication? And due to these efforts most of the countries able to become free from this fatal disease and in some parts of the world awareness level is increased.
World Health Day: History
World Health Day marks the anniversary of the World Health Organisation which was founded in 1948. Therefore, in 1948 in Geneva, World Health Assembly was held first time and it was decided to celebrate annually on 7th April as World Health Day. On this day, by WHO variety of events with particular theme are organised at the international and national level.
In the year 1950, World Health Day was first time celebrated worldwide.
World Water Day 2018: Theme and Importance
World Health Day: Celebrations
- At global level World Health Day targets all the issues related to health and for this several programs are organised yearly basis by the WHO and other organisations at several places like schools, colleges etc.
- It is celebrated worldwide by the government, non-government, NGO’s and several other organisations.
- Health authorities from different country take part in the celebration with their pledges in order to support on the health issues worldwide.
- It reminds people about the establishment of WHO and to spread awareness among people about major health issues in the world.
- WHO has worked on serious health issues in the developing countries like chickenpox, polio, smallpox, TB, leprosy etc.
- To fulfil the aim of World Health Day, people in the World Health Organisations do debates between individuals on health related topics, organise exhibitions, essay writing, various competitions and award ceremony etc.
- Organisations which participated in the World Health Organisations highlight all the activities through Media like News, releases of the Press so that people come to know about it.
Various themes of World Health Day
- World Health Day Theme 1950 “Know your Health Services”.
- World Health Day Theme 1951 “Health for your Child and World’s Children”.
- World Health Day Theme 1952 “Healthy surroundings make Healthy people”.
- World Health Day Theme 1960 “Malaria eradication – A world challenge”.
- World Health Day Theme 1961 “Accidents and their prevention”.
- World Health Day Theme 1965 “Smallpox – constant alert”.
- World Health Day Theme 1987 “Immunization: A chance for every Child”.
- World Health Day Theme 1995 “Global Polio Eradication”.
- World Health Day Theme 2004 “Road safety”.
- World Health Day Theme 2014 “Vector-borne diseases”.
- World Health Day Theme 2015 “Food safety”.
- World Health Day Theme 2016 “Diabetes: Scale up prevention, strengthen care, and enhance surveillance”.
- World Health Day Theme 2017 “Depression: Let’s talk”.
So, it is important for the people to get the correct treatment and advice from the Doctors at correct time, to gain knowledge about health, their body and take better treatment to grow properly. Without good health, nothing is possible. Knowledge plays a crucial role. That is why it is correctly said “The greatest wealth is Health”.
“Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise”- Benjamin Franklin.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.