As part of the advocacy campaign for road safety, every year in the month of January ‘Road Safety Week’ is observed in the country. All the CBSE schools would take part in the initiative in order to highlight and emphasize the need for safe roads, so that disastrous and life-threatening dangers of road negligence could get avoided. The 26th Road Safety Week would get observed by all the CBSE affiliated schools from 11 to 17 January 2015. The theme of this year’s Road Safety Week is decided to be ‘Safety is not just a slogan; It’s a way of life’.
There is a list of activities that the CBSE affiliated schools are asked to follow. The schools have made the list clear in form of notices for the school children and parents, to make the initiative a success. The list includes the following:
- In all the entry/exit points of buildings, parking lots etc. there would be flexes, banners and posters that would notify about the week and display the theme.
- On Road Safety there would be workshops, discussions, essay competitions and quiz competitions held on schools.
- There would be medical camps situated in the schools to check-up the drivers of school transport.
- In order to generate more awareness in the citizens, the schools are also requested to arrange cyclothon/walkathon.
- There should be trainings and refreshers arranged by the schools on the same.
- There would be programmes initiated for drivers giving them lessons on road safety rules, various sign/signature and first aid service in case of accidents.
- There would be fitness checkups done of all the students, teachers and non-teaching staff in the schools.
- The propagation of the Supreme Court’s verdict would also be spread in the schools which says ‘The effort to save the person should be the top priority not only of the medical professional but even of the police or any other citizen who happens to be connected with that matter or who happens to notice such an incident or a situation’ and there is no legal impediment for a medical professional when he is called upon or requested to attend to an injured person who needs medical help immediately after any causality.
The Central Board of Secondary Education has also requested all its affiliated schools to post their activities during the week in form of photographs, videos, audio in the official website of CBSE Expression Resources section, latest by 20 January 2015.