GK Questions and Answers on Gandhi Jayanti
Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated in India on 2nd October every year to commemorate the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, the "Father of the Nation". It is one of the three national holidays in India. Let us solve some interesting questions about Mahatma Gandhi and Gandhi Jayanti.
Gandhi Jayanti is a national holiday. On this day government offices, post offices are closed. Other businesses, stores, organisations may be closed or have reduced opening hours.
He is remembered for his unforgettable contribution in the struggle of freedom. The novel technique that Mahatma Gandhi developed in the freedom struggle movement was "Satyagraha" a non-violent mass struggle.
Famous Books on Mahatma Gandhi:
- Who said “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
A. Mahatma Gandhi
B. Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru
C. Lal Bahadur Shastri
D. Sarojini Naidu
Explanation: This is the famous quotation said by Mahatma Gandhi.
- When is the International Day of Non-Violence celebrated?
A. 14th August
B. 16th May
C. 8th October
D. 2nd October
Explanation: The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on 2nd October every year to promote non-violence through education and public awareness. In 2007, the UN General Assembly came up with the resolution A/RES/61/271 to establish the International Day of Non-Violence.
- What was the title given by Mahatma Gandhi to his Gujarati translation of "Unto This Last"?
Explanation: Mahatma Gandhi translated Unto This Last into Gujarati under the title of Sarvodaya in 1908.
- Mahatma Gandhi was born in which place?
B. Madhya Pradesh
D. Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: Mahatama Gandhi was born on 2 October, 1869 at Porbandar, Gujarat.
- Which of the following slogans is associated with the name of Gandhi ji?
A. Do or Die
B. Tum mujhe khoon do main tumhe azaadi dunga
C. Swaraj is my birth-right
D. Jai Hind
Explanation: Mahatma Gandhi gave slogan “Do or Die” during Quit India Movement which began in August 1942.
- When Mahatma Gandhi and his volunteers started Dandi March?
Explanation: Mahatma Gandhi and his volunteers on 12 March, 1930 started Dandi March. It was the start of Civil Disobedience Movement.
- How many days did Mahatma Gandhi and his volunteers took to cover 24 mile journey from Sabarmati Ashram to Dandi?
Explanation: Mahatma Gandhi launched Civil Disobedience Movement with his famous Dandi March which was started on 12 March, 1930 and ended on 6 April, 1930. Dandi March is also known as Salt Satyagraha.
- Sabarmati Ashram is located at which place in India?
Explanation: Satyagraha Ashram was built by Mahatma Gandhi his first ashram on 25 May, 1915 in Ahmedabad when he returned back from South Africa to India with his 25 inmates. Later, it was shifted to the bank of river Sabarmati in July 1917 and named it as Sabarmati Ashram.
- Which of the following books are written by Mahatma Gandhi?
A. The Story of My Experiments with Truth.
B. Hind Swaraj
D. All the above
Explanation: All the above mentioned books are written by Mahatma Gandhi.
- Which of the following was the first movement of Mahatma Gandhi in India?
A. Champaran Satyagraha
B. Bardoli Satyagraha
C. Dandi March
D. Kheda Satyagraha
Explanation: The first Satyagraha was started in 1917 by Mahatma Gandhi in Champaran district of Bihar.
- In 1920, which movement was started by Mahatma Gandhi?
A. Khilafat Movement
B. Kheda Movement
C. Non-Cooperation Movement
D. Civil-Disobedience Movement
Explanation: Non-Cooperation movement was started by Mahatma Gandhi in 1920.
- Which of the following quotations are written by Mahatma Gandhi?
A. “You must be the change you wish to see in the World”.
B. "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight with you, then you win."
C. "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
D. All the above
Explanation: All the above quotations given in the options are written by Mahatma Gandhi.
- Who portrayed Mahatma Gandhi in the 1982 film Gandhi?
A. Ben Kingsley
B. Roshan Seth
C. John Gielgud
D. None of the above
Explanation: In Gandhi film, the role of Mahatma Gandhi was played by Ben Kingsley and Nathuram Godse by Harsh Nayyar.
- In which year Mahatma Gandhi was named the Man of the Year by the Time Magazine?
Explanation: In 1930, Gandhi was named the Man of the Year by the Time Magazine
- When Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated?
A. 30 December, 1947
B. 30 January, 1948
C. 30 February, 1948
D. 30 March, 1948
Explanation: Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was assassinated on 30 January 1948 by Nathuram Godse.
These were some interesting questions about Mahatma Gandhi and about his life. Hope you liked it! For more details about Mahatma Gandhi, kindly refer article given below:
Recommended Books for UPSC Preparation: