The Constitution of India provides equal rights and opportunities to the disabled people with any kind of disability of 40% or more (including blindness, visual impairment, hearing impairment, locomotor disabilities, etc), certified by medical experts just like any ordinary people, who is fit n fine from all senses and organs. In order to connect disabled people with the mainstream of life, the Constitution of the country has made provision for reservation for them in government and government-run institution's jobs.
So today we will know how disabled quota is determined in government jobs and what percentage of seats are reserved. First of all, we will know that what is a disability?
What is Disability?
Any kind of abnormalities in general physical structure, due to which the physical or mental health of the person is affected and his / her movement's, senses, or activities are limited is called Disability. Disability is not only related to organ damage, but if any part of the body is not functioning properly, then this condition is also called disability, such as the lack of vision or lack of hearing or speaking ability also come in the category of disability.
Such a condition is called disability when the affected person is doing any work but not by the normal process. A handicapped person is unable to fulfil his / her social role and responsibilities due to all these reasons. Apart from this, mental illness has also been included in the category of psychological disabilities under disability.
Percentage of Seats Reserved for Disable Candidates
3 percent reservation of seats is provided by our Constitution under the Act of 1955 (Equal Opportunities, Rights Protection, and Full Participation) of the Constitution of India to facilitate normal life for such disabled or helpless persons. Following are the facilities provided -
- 3 percent seats of government and government-funded educational institutions are reserved for the disabled.
- Reservation in Government jobs.
- Social security schemes.
- Reservations in educational institutions.
- Physically challenged people are given up to 10 years exempt in age limit in Government jobs.
- In case of all services related to direct recruitment in the Central Government, 10 years of age relaxation for blind, deaf, physically handicapped or persons suffering from cerebral palsy.
- Extra 15 years exempt in age limit for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribe people.
- Extra 13 years exempt in age limit for backward class.
Percentage of reservation for different disability
For all government services, departments for direct recruitment to Group A, B, C and D posts, 3% of the seats are reserved for the disabled, out of which 1% of reservation is determined for each type of disability.
Also Read: Current Affairs
For reservations, the person with disability is required to confirm 40% or more disability validated by medical expert -
1. One percent of reservation for blindness (vision blind vision).
2. One percent of reservation for hearing impairment.
3. One percent of reservation for Locomotor Disability or Cerebral Palsy (Cerebral Palsy Victim).
4. If a post is suitable for a candidate with a type of disability, then there is a provision for reservations for that post only to the candidate with the same disability. In such a case, 3% reservation will not be deducted.
Apart from this, there is a provision for reservation in promotion for people with disabilities. Recently, the Supreme Court has decided that 3% reservation will be given to the disabled for promotion in all the posts under the Government of India. The court has passed this order after the order of the central government to implement the reservation for the disabled for Group C and Group D posts only. The court termed the Centre’s order as illegal.