General Awareness for MBA : 22 April to 27 April
Apr 27, 2015 13:08 IST
- Union Government on 24 April 2015 allowed Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) to invest five percent of its corpus in Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs). The decision will result into an inflow of around five thousand crore rupees into the stock markets during fiscal 2015-16.
- Japan’s main stock market index Nikkei 225 on 21 April 2015 closed above the 20000 level for the first time in 15 years. The index surged by just over 15% in 2015, building on an incredible 140% boom since June 2012.
- The Railway Ministry on 22 April 2015 launched a mobile application named utsonmobile, for paperless unreserved tickets. This mobile application aims to eliminate the need for printing of unreserved tickets.
- Union Finance Ministry retained the rate of interest for General Provident Fund (GPF) and other related schemes at 8.7 per cent for 2015-16. The notification was issued by the Finance Ministry on 21 April 2015.
- Indian on 27 April 2015 launched a relief and rescue Operation named Maitri in earthquake hit Nepal. The operation will involve two dozen military aircraft and choppers along with bus services through road route.
- World Malaria Day (WMD) was observed on 25 April 2015. The theme for the 2013-2015 campaign is Invest in the Future. Defeat Malaria.
- Thomas Bach, the president of International Olympic Committee (IOC), was on 22 April 2015 named as ambassador of HeForShe campaign by UN Women.
- Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan was on 21 April 2015 honoured with the Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Award 2015 for his performance in the movie Happy New Year. The award ceremony was held in Mumbai.
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 21 April 2015 released a Postage Stamp commemorating the 200 years of the Orthodox Theological Seminary or Old Seminary, Kottayam in Kerala.
- Pathai Ananthasubramanian Murali on 23 April 2015 resigned as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Executive Director (ED) of Bengaluru-based United Spirits Limited. Murali also resigned from the boards of all subsidiaries.
- Accounting giant KPMG on 22 April 2015 elected company veteran Lynne Doughtie as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chairman. She is the first women to be elected to this position.
- Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) Bank on 21 April 2015 launched Tap-n-Pay, a near-field communications-enabled payment service. The service was launched in collaboration with Tech Mahindra.
- Online travel services provider MakeMyTrip on 22 April 2015 has acquired startup travel guide firm Mygola.
- Drug Maker Lupin Limited on 20 April 2015 launched hepatic encephalopathy drug Zaxine in Canada under a licensing agreement of US-based Salix Pharmaceuticals Company.
- Ratan Tata has acquired a stake in Xiaomi Technology, a deal that is likely to bolster the Chinese phone maker's presence in the world's third-largest smartphone market.
- National Panchayati Raj Day was observed across India on 24 April 2015. The day is observed to mark the passing of the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24 April 2015 inaugurated India’s Healthcare Portal at the SAAARC Trade Mart in the Global Exhibition on Services, in ITPO, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- Union Home Ministry on 23 April 2015 has placed the international funding organisation the Ford Foundation on its watch list.
- Union Government on 22 April 2015 rolled out an online system for submission of the Long Term Visa (LTV) applications by the eligible Pakistani nationals and for its processing by various agencies.
- The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) on 22 April 2015 received the ISO 9001:2008 certification from the British Standards Institute (BSI). The ISO certification was granted in respect of various licences issued by ministry for the broadcasts, print media and films.
- The Union Cabinet on 22 April 2015 approved amendments to the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill 2014. The bill seeks to amend the Justice Juvenile (JJ) Act, 2000 to try juveniles who are accused of heinous crimes under laws for adults.
- The fourteenth edition of Indo-French Naval Exercise named VARUNA-15 commenced on 23 April 2015 off the coast of Goa. The 10-day long joint naval exercise will end on 2 May 2015.
- Indian- American Vivek Murthy on 23 April 2015 took oath as the 19th US Surgeon General. The oath was administered by Vice President Joe Biden at a ceremony in the US. He took the oath on the Gita.
- The Union Cabinet on 22 April 2015 gave its approval for signing of a shipping agreement between India and Jordan. The agreement aims at strengthening cooperation and providing sustained mutual assistance on merchant shipping and other related maritime matters.
- World Bank on 18 April 2015 established Pollution Management and Environmental Health (PHEM) program. The program was officially launched on Global Citizen 2015 Earth Day in Washington, D.C.
- China and Pakistan on 21 April 2015 signed an agreement on China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) plan worth 46 billion US dollars. The agreement was signed by China's President Xi Jinping and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- Russia and Argentina on 23 April 2015 signed a series of framework agreements on economic and energy co-operation.
- Cricket South Africa (CSA) on 21 April 2015 announced a new tournament to be known as the Africa T20 Cup. The tournament was planned to promote the game and nurture young talent in the continent.
- Archana Girish Kamath and Anezka Ilcikova, the Indo-Czech Republic pair won the cadet girls’ doubles table tennis title at the French junior and cadet open on 19 April 2015 in Metz, France.
- Former Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar was on 20 April 2015 appointed as chief adviser of the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) Anti-Corruption & Security Unit (ACSU). He will have a term of one year, that is, till 2016.
- Novak Djokovic of Serbia on 20 April 2015 won his second Monte-Carlo Masters title of Tennis. In the final clash played at Monte-Carlo, Monaco, Djokovic defeated Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.