1. The Union Commerce Ministry on 29 September 2014 cancelled approvals of nine special economic zones (SEZs), including that of Hindalco Industries, Essar and Adani.
2. United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) on 24 September 2014 released Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR) 2014. According to report, growth in trade and investment flows in Asia-Pacific region is yet to return to its levels of strength prior to the global financial crisis.
1. The Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy ( MNRE) on 30 September 2014 announced the organisation of the first Renewable Energy Global Investors Meet & Expo (RE-INVEST). The meet is scheduled to be held on 15 February 2015 in New Delhi.
2. The India-US Combined Military Training Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2014 concluded at Ranikhet in Uttarakhand on 30 September 2014. The Yudh Abhyas 2014 started on 17 September 2014.
3. Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan on 4 October 2014 received Global Diversity Award 2014 at the Britain’s House of Commons. He was conferred the award by House of Commons speaker John Bercow for his outstanding achievements in the field of cinema and his involvement in philanthropic endevours.
4. World Animal Day was observed across the world on 4 October 2014. Unofficially also known as World Animal Lover Day is observed to pay tribute to all animals and people who loves animal and respect them. The Day is observed across the world in different ways irrespective of their nationality, faith, religion and political ideology.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 October 2014 addressed the countrymen over radio for the first time in his programme Mann Ki Baat. Mann ki Baat is a new initiative of Modi to reach out to maximum populace
6. President Pranab Mukherjee on 30 September 2014 authorised Vigilance Commissioner Rajiv to act as chief of Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) until the appointment of the Central Vigilance Commissioner.
1. Tata Motors Limited on 29 September 2014 appointed Mayank Pareek as president of Passenger Vehicle Division. Mayank Pareek will join the company on 1 October 2014. He succeeded Ranjit Yadav. Ranjit Yadav will now head the international business for passenger and commercial vehicles.
2. European Union (EU) Competition Commission approved Facebook – WhatsApp deal worth 19 billion US dollar on 3 October 2014. The Commission cleared the deal saying that the Facebook-WhatsApp deal would not hurt competition.
3. Sumitomo Group of Japan on 30 September 2014 acquired the car lease division of Carzonrent India for 200 crore rupees.
4. Healthcare major Apollo Hospitals on 30 September 2014 tied up with the global pharma firm Sanofi. The aim behind this tie-up is to expand Apollo Sugar Clinics which provide integrated diabetes care programmes in India.
5. Google closed the social networking site Orkut permanently on 30 September 2014. Google announced the decision to shut down Orkut in June 2014.
6. Kotak Mahindra Bank on 29 September 2014 acquired 15 percent stake of Financial Technologies (India) Ltd (FTIL) in Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) for 459 crore rupees. Kotak Bank acquired MCX shares at about 664 rupees a piece.
1. Afghanistan on 30 September 2014 signed Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) with the US with an aim to allow some US troops to remain in the country till 2015.
2. The Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on 27 September 2014 addressed the 69th session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York. He addressed the 193-member UN General Assembly in Hindi becoming the second Prime Minister after Atal Behari Vajpayee who was a Prime Minister from 1998 to 2004.
3. India and the United States issued Vision Statement to boost strategic ties on 29 September 2014. The Vision Statement titled Chalein Saath-Saath: Forward Together We Go was issued after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met US President Barack Obama at the dinner at White House in Washington DC.
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 2 October 2014 launched Swachh Bharat (Clean India) campaign in New Delhi. The Swachh Bharat campaign was launched on the occasion of 145th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and is aimed at making India clean by 2019, i.e. 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
2. Union Government on 25 September 2014 launched Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Antyodaya Yojana for urban and rural poor. The Yojana aims at alleviating urban and rural poverty through enhancement of livelihood opportunities through skill development and other means.
3. The Supreme Court of India on 25 September 2014 struck down the National Tax Tribunal (NTT) Act, 2005 terming it as unconstitutional.
1. Chennai Super Kings (CSK) on 4 October 2014 won the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) 2014 title of Cricket. CSK lifted the title by defeating Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by 8 wickets in the final match played at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru.
2. Legendary Indian boxer MC Mary Kom on 1 October 2014 bagged her first ever Asian Games Gold Medal. She defeated Zhaina Shekerbekova of Kazakhstan in the finals of the women’s flyweight category (48-51kg) at the 17th Asian Games in Incheon.
3. Europe on 28 September 2014 won the 40th Ryder Cup in Gleneagles, Scotland. Europe defeated United States by 16½ points to 11½. The team captains were Paul McGinley for Europe and Tom Watson for the USA.
4. Leander Paes and Marcin Matkowski on 28 September 2014 won the ATP Malaysian Open men’s doubles title. The fourth seeded Indo-Polish duo defeated the second seed Briton-Australian partner, Jamie Murray and John Peers 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-5 in the summit clash played at Kuala Lumpur.