General Awareness for MBA : 7 April to 13 April
Apr 14, 2015 14:47 IST
- Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), the retirement fund body, on 9 April 2015 suspended the 1000 rupees minimum monthly pension scheme from April 2015.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on 8 April 2015 raised the transaction limit in exchange traded currency derivatives to 15 million US dollars for both foreign and domestic investors without having any underlying exposure. Earlier, the limit was 10 million dollars.
- The RBI (Reserve Bank of India) on 8 March 2015 notified hike in FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) limit in Insurance Sector to 49 percent from the present 26 percent.
- The Union Cabinet on 7 April 2015 gave its approval to release an additional installment of Dearness Allowance (DA) to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners at the rate of six percent increase over the existing rate of 107 percent.
- The Yoga guru Baba Ramdev was in news as State Government of Haryana on 13 April 2015 decided to accord status equivalent to a Cabinet Minister on him.
- Nobel laureate German novelist Gunter Grass died on 13 April 2015 in Luebeck, Germany. He was 87.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory on 12 April 2015 named Asteroid 316201 after Malala Yousafzai, the winner of 2014 Nobel Peace Prize.
- A painting titled Tree of Life was gifted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to French President Francois Hollande during his visit to France from 9 April to 12 April 2015.
- Jamaat-e-Islami leader Muhammad Kamaruzzaman was in news as Bangladesh on 11 April 2015 hanged him for committing 1971 war crimes after he refused to seek presidential clemency.
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 11 April 2015 inaugurated the first ever Songs and Dances of Northeast event in New Delhi.
- Bharat Hari Singhania assumed the presidency of JK Organization. The company issued a formal statement on 9 April 2015 in this regard.
- India was designated on 10 April 2015 to chair the ninth meeting of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) council to be held for two days starting from 10 June 2015.
- Surface-to-Surface nuclear-capable Dhanush ballistic missile was successfully test-fired on 9 April 2015 from a naval ship off the Odisha coast.
- President of India, Pranab Mukherjee on 9 April 2015 appointed Dr. Nasim Zaidi as the Chief Election Commissioner (CEC). He will assume the charge of office of the CEC with effect from 19 April 2015.
- Arun Kumar Jha was appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- Sumit Mazumder on 7 April 2015 was elected as the President of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for the year 2015-16. He succeeded Ajay Shriram.
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc on 8 April 2015 acquired BG Group for about 70 billion US dollar. The deal would vault Shell far ahead of rivals like Exxon Mobil Corp and Chevron Corp. in the race to build market share for Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
- The food retail arm of the diversified Godrej Group, Godrej Nature's Basket on 13 April 2015 joined hands with Amazon for selling its products through the e-commerce giant's platform in India.
- Snapdeal on 8 April 2015 acquired mobile recharge service FreeCharge in a cash and stock deal. With this acquisition, Snapdeal became the largest mobile commerce company in India.
- State Government of Rajasthan and Hindustan Zinc, a Vedanta group company on 8 April 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to improve 3056 anganwadi centres in five districts. The selected five districts are Udaipur, Chittorgarh, Bhilwara, Rajsamand and Ajmer.
- Dena Bank on 6 April 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India to provide insurance cover to all Aadhaar-linked savings account holders of the bank in the age group of 18 to 50 years.
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) on 6 April 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to deepen partnership between Indian companies and the bank in those countries where the bank has operations.
- The Directorate General of Central Excise Intelligence (DGCEI) on 5 April 2015 slapped 570 crore rupees excise duty fine against confectionery giant Cadbury India Limited.
- Online search giant Google on 5 April 2015 entered into a strategic partnership with consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers to target Digital India Projects and large enterprise deals.
- Mayilsamy Annadurai on 1 April 2015 was appointed as Director of ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC), Bengaluru.
- Union Home Ministry on 10 April 2015 notified amendments to the Governors (Allowances and Privileges) Rules, 1987 and named these rules as Governors (Allowances and Privileges) Amendment Rules, 2015.
- The Supreme Court (SC) of India on 10 April 2015 directed all the private hospitals in the country to provide for full and free medical treatment to acid attack victims.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs on 9 April 2015 suspended the registration of Greenpeace India Society (GIS) for 180 days for acting against public and economic interests of the country.
- Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on 8 April 2015 issued an order for revision of norms with regard to the centrally notified disasters including flood, cyclone, drought, hailstorm, tsunami and earthquake.
- India and France signed 20 Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and Agreements on 10 April 2015 to give new impetus to bilateral co-operation between the two nations.
- The state legislature of Oklahoma on 9 April 2015 passed a bill that allows use of nitrogen gas (nitrogen-induced hypoxia) as a method of execution. The bill was passed by the legislature without a single dissenting vote.
- India was elected to four important United Nations (UN) agencies on 8 April 2015. These agencies are United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Food Program (WFP), Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ) and the Governing Council of UN-Habitat.
- Union Road Transport and Highways minister Nitin Gadkari and US Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx on 8 April 2015 signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) in New Delhi for deepening partnership in the area of transport between the two countries.
- Brijbhushan Sharan Singh was on 11 April 2015 re-elected as the president of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for a four-year term.
- New Zealand on 12 April 2015 won the 2015 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup men’s hockey tournament. In the final clash played at the Sultan Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh, Malaysia, New Zealand defeated World Champions Australia 3-1.
- Mercedes racing driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain on 12 April 2015 won the 2015 Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix title in the race held in Shanghai, China.
- Indian shooter Apurvi Chandela on 11 April 2015 won Bronze medal at the 10-meter Air rifle women final in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Rifle/Pistol World Cup held in Changwon, South Korea.