- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitely on 9 July 2014 presented Economic Survey of India 2013-14 in the Lok Sabha. India’s economy in financial year 2014-15 is expected to grow in the range of 5.4 – 5.9 percent overcoming sub-5 percent growth. The Survey listed certain risk factors for the growth and they are poor monsoon, the external environment and the poor investment climate.
- Union Budget introduced new scheme Van Bandhu Kalyan Yojna for tribals, National level institutes for Universal Inclusive Design, Mental Health Rehabilitation and a Centre for Disability Sports to be established.
- Union budget to energize capital markets introduced uniform KYC norms and inter-usability of the KYC records across the financial sector.
- The Union Budget provided finances to set up an institute which provides support to mainstream the 4PIndia, Comprehensive policy will be announced, to develop Jal Marg Vikas (project on Ganges) and encouraging Tier I and Tier II airports.
- Union Budget 2014-15 provided new initiatives like National Industrial Corridor Authority and preparing master planning of industrial corridors and economic corridors to increase the industrial growth.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kuthar Warship was damaged in a mishap on 13 July 2014. This was the 15th such incident after INS Sindhurakshak sank on 14 August 2013. The Indian Navy ordered a Board of Inquiry to probe the incident.
- World Population Day was observed across the world on 11 July 2014. The theme of World Population Day 2014 was investing in Young People. It is observed to bring awareness to people about importance of small families and living healthy lives.
- India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2013 was released in New Delhi by Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Environment, Forests & Climate of 8 July 2014. The report provides information on forest cover, tree cover, mangrove cover and growing stock inside and outside forest areas.
- Emma Watson, the British Actress on 8 July 2014 was appointed as the Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women.
- India on 8 July 2014 successfully test-fired an advanced version of the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from Chandipur-on-Sea off Odisha coast.
- M S Mehta was appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Reliance Infrastructure on 7 July 2014. He took charge as CEO for a period of five years.
- Adani Ports & SEZ Ltd (APSEZ) on 4 July 2014 formed a joint venture (JV) with French shipping company CMA CGM to build a container terminal. The container terminal will be built at Mundra in Gujarat.
- India and Canada has signed an India-Canada Audiovisual Co-production Treaty with an aim to create jobs in both countries and boost tourism. This audiovisual treaty is the first of its kind for India and was signed in Delhi. The treaty came into force on 1 July 2014 but the announcement was made on 9 July 2014.
- India and United Kingdom on 8 July 2014 decided to launch negotiations for civil nuclear cooperation. The decision was taken during the visit of UK foreign secretary of state William Hague to India. He visited India on 7- 8 July 2014.
- German Cabinet headed by German Chancellor Angela Merkel on 3 July 2014 approved a new law that allows dual citizenship for the children of immigrants on 3 July 2014.
- Senegal President Macky Sall on 4 July 2014 sacked Prime Minister Ms Aminata Toure. She was sacked due to her failure to win a seat from Dakar in the 2014 local elections.
- UN Tribunal, Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) on 8 July 2014 ruled on the Indo-Bangladesh maritime border dispute of the Bay of Bengal. The court has awarded 19467 square kilometers, a major part of disputed area to Bangladesh from a total disputed area of 25602 square kilometers.
- Germany on 13 July 2014 became the 2014 FIFA World Cup champion after defeating Argentina 1-0 at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The single goal of the final was made by Mario Gotze during the extra-time.
- FIFA on 9 July 2014 suspended Nigeria from all international football competitions with immediate effect. Nigeria was suspended on account of government interference in running Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
- Sania Mirza, the Indian tennis ace, along with her Zimbabwean doubles partner Cara Black on 7 July 2014 were ranked career-best fifth in the latest WTA Doubles rankings.
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI) and TheFootballLink on 8 July 2014 jointly launched F-Cube, technology to promote football at the grass-root level. F-Cube technology was launched at the Weightlifting Auditorium of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
- Petra Kvitova of Czechslovakia on 5 July 2014 won the women’s single of Wimbledon Tennis Open of 2014. To win her second title, she defeated the Canadian Eugenie Bouchard 6-3, 6-0.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization. Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.