We have well advanced into the 21st century in a democratic, republic, free nation called India. The one big name that nobody can ever forget is of the most famous and remarkable non-violent freedom fighter Mr. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi or popularly known as Bapu. He and his principles & ideologies like: Non-violence, someone slaps you on one cheek just offer him the other cheek etc were widely accepted and proved to be eventually very feasible in fighting against the britishers.
Now we all have moved 68 years ahead with lots of changes in lives, innovations in science and technology, vivid variety of lifestyles and many such factors and we call our society to be modern and advanced. But the point is if the principles and ideologies of Gandhi are still practical in the modern world or not.
Gandhi and his principles are not practical in the modern world as:
1. Violence multiplies on being non-violent: In today’s era, violence can best be answered by violence. Those who remain silent when treated with violence suffer even worse if do not fire back in the same fashion. Nobody today, believes in “Ahimsa parmo dharma” and the biggest proof is India emerging as a military super power nation in Asia with advanced weapons, arms and ammunition.
2. Modern culture outplays Gandhian Swawlambi philosophy: As in today’s modern world, trends and fashion have taken a new shape and so people wear trendy outfits and wardrobe and by no means they are restricted to use of self-made khadi clothes as a part of Swawlambi or self-dependent philosophy of Gandhi.
3. His ideology of universal upliftment has lost meaning: In this modern world, people have become highly self-centered and selfish. Moreover, they think of personal benefits and personal well being to advance into modern lives.
On the contrary, we may see that in many ways even the modern world has followed the Mahatma and his principles as:
1) Tibetan leader Dalai Lama’s following him: The great tibetan leader Dalai Lama has accepted Gandhi to be a great light of inspiration for his works and principles of life as he admired and made the people across the globe admire Gandhi and his philosophy of Non-Violence which made the success story of Indian Independence itself proving to be great work of all times in the history of the world. In fact, the whole world facing the grave problem of war like: Gaza, Tibet, China, Soviet Union, Burma etc can overcome by following the principle of Non-violence is what Dalai Lama feels and urges.
2) Barack Obama- A World famous remarkable leader of the 21st Century sees Gandhi as a sole source of Inspiration: Even the U.S President Barack Obama finds a true leader in Gandhi and a true sense in Gandhian philosophy today as he sees An ordinary man coming up with achieving an extra-ordinary success just on the basis of his simple ideologies and basic principles.
3) Inspiration for one and all in modern world as well: Gandhi and his principles have really proved to become a true sense of inspiration for leaders of all age and times be it Martin Luther King or Dalai Lama or Desmond Tutu or Nelson Mandela; all these great names of all times in the world have followed and succeeded in achieving their goals by following Gandhi and his principles in one way or the other and hence the modern world has followed and still following the same Gandhian Philosophy to a much greater extent.
Hence, if we look closely on the fact of Gandhi’s life and the fate of his principles in the modern world there is a situation of both acceptance as well as rejection on one hand and then the people who follow it also justify it with various reasons. If we see that we are advancing towards a modern age and advanced world then there will also be many people to fall in queue and follow Gandhian philosophy for the betterment of mankind and humanity.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization.Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.