Culture is the real identity of people, society, place, nation and lifestyle. It is the culture that defines who we are, how we behave, how we live and how we proceed in our lives.
India has been known for its vastness in culture. Our culture is very old and dates back to almost thousands of years. We people are very much adhered to the culture and tradition of our ancestors and simultaneously adopt new trends and culture in order to go neck-to-neck with the current world.
But from the last 20-30 odd decades it has been observed that many of the people specially the teenagers are adopting and living the Western culture due to:
• Trendiness & coolness
• Global impact
It’s considered to be fair by people as:
1. Impression and Fashion: People live, earn, prevail not just for mere survival but to live and compete in the society and bring advancements to their lives. Adopting western culture includes adopting the western lifestyle, wardrobes, music and entertainment options. Moreover, they are in fashion and everyone wants to be fashionable.
2. Global connectivity: Most of the nations are adopting western culture and the Globe has shrunk due to this mingle of culture and therefore we also need to adopt the same in order to match footsteps with the people of the world and connect to all globally.
3. Cross culture promotion: Many people think that it is the way that we can enhance and promote our culture. Meaning, if we adopt their culture they may get impressed and influenced by that and adopt our culture to show respect and dignity hence promoting cross-cultural life.
On the contrary, if we look on it’s disadvantages we may come under the impression of not adopting the western culture due to the following reasons:
1) Hampers our Traditional culture: First and foremost adopting other’s culture would straightaway hamper and adversely affect our culture and then what would we teach to our forthcoming generation about our glorious culture if we ourselves would not be following them?
2) Increased criminal activities: Due to adoption of western culture young girls wear short fancy dresses, go to discs and pubs at nights, drink alcohol and go home late night. So, it obviously hampers the social integrity of the nation and due to such an open kind of exposed lifestyle criminal cases like eve-teasing, rapes etc are also increasing day by day.
3) National heritage would lose it’s value: India is famous for it’s cultural diversity world-over. Every nation praises the vivid culture that prevails and perpetuates in India. But if we start adopting and falling in the western culture then even the foreign nations would see us as non-cultural nation. It’s about the ethical and moral values that make us distinct from others but adopting western culture will lead to the loss of national heritage, honor and value.
In some way or the other, we can easily observe that culture has a lot to do to a person both individually and socially. It may make us honored as well as dishonored depending upon the level to which we are valuing a particular culture. Adopting western culture is not an issue the real issue is to exaggerate it in a way that adversely affects the growth, development and prosperity of a nation as a whole. What we need to really change is the way we perceive the adoption of western culture and the keeping in mind that there must be allied limitations to it to such an extent that our own culture remains intact and vulnerable.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization.Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.