NMEICT Mission to Start across Universities/Colleges in India

NMEICT will connect universities and colleges with active broadband services throughout the nation. It would provide 15-20 broadband connection of 512 kbps speed each to over 2500+ colleges across the nation.

Created On: Dec 12, 2014 13:48 IST

The National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) is geared up to sweep the nation with active broadband connections and connect universities and colleges around the nation. It would provide 15-20 broadband connection of 512 kbps speed each to over 2500+ colleges which would include 2000 polytechnics in the country, and 1 Gbps of optical fiber connectivity, to almost 419 universities around the country.

Further the NMEICT mission would provide e-books and e-journals without taking any cost from the students and would support the under graduate and post graduate students with e-contents of their academic needs. The mission would also create web and video courses under NPTEL (National Programme in Technology Enhanced Learning) in all the branches of engineering and physical sciences. It would further develop the virtual laboratories and help in developing vocational education modules.

The central government is not supporting the state government through any direct financial assistance to implement the scheme. Rather it is directly releasing the share of 75% of the costs directly to Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited/ Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited for the connectivity to various universities and colleges. The rest of the 25% cost of the installation of the connectivity would have to be deposited by the concerned institution directly to BSNL/ MTNL under the scheme. For North Eastern region institutes the ratio is 90:10.

The better communication throughout the nation and connectivity to the virtual world would make the reach of academic community even further and would help achieving better results in future in the field of academic studies.

Related Categories

Comment (0)

Post Comment

3 + 7 =
Disclaimer: Comments will be moderated by Jagranjosh editorial team. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant will not be published. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.