Google has made many acquisitions over the years. It has acquired companies like Skyboxx imaging, Dropcam, Postini etc. But how much did it pay for them and were they hefty? Let us find out.
- Motorola: Motorola was acquired by Google in a deal of 12.5 billion $ . The deal came through in the year 2011. Two years later Motorola was sold to Lenovo by Google in 2.91 billion $. Main reason for buying Motorola was patents and they kept most of the aptents even fater selling them to Lenovo which was surely a good business move.
- NestLabs: NestLabs was acquired in 2014 for 3.2 billion $. It was founded by Matt Rogers and Tony Fadell. NestLabs makes smart thermostats and smoke detectors. Apparently it was acquired in order to move into consumer market. It acquired the company and left Nest Labs to use its own brand.
- DoubleClick: DoubleClick was bought for a little less than NestLabs in 3.1 billion $ in 2007. But if we take time value of money into consideration, then the deal was of more value then. Google made this move to have a presence in online advertising. One will think that Googke acquired the company and thus owns the software but they bought relationships with the publishers, advertisers and agencies as well. DoubleClick was founded in 1996.
- YouTube: One of the biggest move and acquisitions was to buy YouTube. Youtube was founded in the year 2005 as a video sharing website by three former PayPal employees in February 2005. And it was acquired by Google in 1.65 Billion $ in 2006. It is the second search engine most used after Google.
- Waze: The last in our list is Waze which is a GPS based navigation app for smartphones. The deal came through in 966 Million $. It was acquired in the year 2013. Waze won the Best Overall Mobile App award at the 2013 Mobile World Congress, beating Dropbox, Flipboard and others. Waze supports Android, iPhone, Symbian, Blackberry 10 (except Blackberry Q10), Windows Phone 8 and Windows Mobile.
In a way, the huge portfolio of the products and services Google offers today is because of the acquisitions it has done over the years
For More Such Articles Click Here