Preliminary Examination of the Civil Services Examination for recruitment to the Services and Posts of Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS) and certain other Group ‘A' and Group ‘B' Central Services will be held by the Union Public Service Commission on 20 May 2012.
Number of Vacancies: 1037 (tentative)
- Closing date for submitting online application: 5 March 2012 till 11.59 pm
- Date for Prelim examination: 20 May 2012
- Application for Main examination: July/ August 2012
- Civil Services Main Examination: October/ November 2012
Educational Qualification: The candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University Under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification
Age Limit (as on 1 August 2012): Minimum 21 years; Maximum 30 years
Number of Attempts: Every candidate appearing at the examination who is otherwise eligible, shall be permitted four attempts at the examination.
Application Fee: Application Fee for General and OBC category candidates is Rs 50 either by remitting the money in any Branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of SBI or by using Net banking facility of Associate bank of SBI or by using Visa/ Master Credit/ Debit Card. Female/ SC/ ST/ PH candidates are exempted from payment of Fee.
Selection Procedure: The Civil Services Examination will consist of two successive stages (vide Appendix I Section-I below).
- Civil Services Preliminary Examination (Objective type) for the selection of candidates for the Main Examination; and
- Civil Services Main Examination (Written and Interview) for the selection of candidates for the various Services and posts (as mentioned in the notification)
Applications are now invited for the Preliminary Examination only. Candidates who are declared by the Commission to have qualified for admission to the Main Examination will have to apply online again, in the Detailed Application Form which would be made available to them.
How to Apply: Interested Candidates may apply Online by using the website http://upsconline.nic.in/mainmenu2.php
For more information; please CLICK HERE or refer Employment Newspaper dated 11 February - 17 February 2012