Arcadia Education Project in Bangladesh wins Aga Khan Architecture Award
Arcadia Education Project established a floating school in Bangladesh. The architect of the project was Saif ul Haq.
Arcadia Education Project honoured with the prestigious Aga Khan Architecture Award 2019 for its Floating School Project. This school was established for marginalized children in South Kanarchor, Bangladesh. The award ceremony was held in Kazan, the Republic of Tatarstan.
The architect of the project, Saif ul Haq, designed a school, which stays on land during the dry season and floats on the water during the monsoon. He used local materials like bamboo, tires, and steel drums to build the amphibious structure for the school.
What is Floating School?
• The floating school is also known as the Arcadia Education Project. The project was started by a retired teacher Razia Alam.
• She established a school for underprivileged children using her pension funds.
• A few years later, the lease of the existing premises expired. She purchased another land near a water body.
• But, it used to remain submerged in up to 3 meters of water for a one-third period of the year.
• Then, it was decided to construct an amphibious structure that could stay on the ground and float on the water.
• Floating school is actually a rectangular structure that includes classrooms, open area for activities, office with toilet structures.
• The architect of the school, Saif ul Haq, made this structure with three types of bamboos, steel drums and bamboo frames.
About Aga Khan Architecture Award
The Aga Khan Architecture Award (AKAA) was established in 1977. The objective of this award is to honour architectural concepts that effectively address the requirements of society. The Architecture Award is associated with the Aga Khan Trust for Culture. It is presented in the three-year cycle term which has one million US dollar as prize money. The Aga Khan Cultural Trust is an institution under the Aga Khan Development Network. This institution is working for the physical, social, cultural and economic improvement of buildings and communities of Muslim society.
Also Read | National Milk Day 2019: All you need to know
Also Read | National Press Day 2019 observed across India