World’s fastest Supersonic Cruise Missile Brahmos on 22 November 2017 created history after it was successfully flight-tested from the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI for the first time.
After being dropped from the Sukhoi-30MKI, the missile’s engine fired up and propelled towards the intended target at the sea in Bay of Bengal. Weighing 2.5 ton, Brahmos is the heaviest weapon to be deployed on Su-30 fighter aircraft modified to carry weapons.
This successful maiden test firing of this Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) will boost the IAF’s air combat operations capability.
About Brahmos missile
• Brahmos, the world-class weapon with multi-platform, is now capable of being launched from Land, Sea and Air.
• The missile has been developed by the BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited and is a joint venture between the Russian Federation's NPO Mashinostroeyenia and India's DRDO.
• The missile derives its name from the names of two rivers, namely the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.
• It operates on ‘Fire and Forget Principle’ by adopting varieties of flights on its way to the target.
• It approaches the enemy target with a top speed of Mach 2.8.
Who: Brahmos missile
When: 22 November 2017