Current Affairs in Short: 27 December 2018
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on December 26, 2018 launched a 'Survey on Retail Payment Habits of Individuals (SRPHi)'. The survey will capture payment habits of individuals in six cities, including four metropolitan towns.
RBI launches survey to capture retail payment habits in 6 cities
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on December 26, 2018 launched a 'Survey on Retail Payment Habits of Individuals (SRPHi)'.
• The survey will capture payment habits of individuals in six cities, including four metropolitan towns.
• It will cover a sample of 6,000 individuals from various socio-economic backgrounds across six cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru and Guwahati.
• The survey seeks qualitative responses from individuals on their payment habits.
• The findings may provide some idea about awareness and usage habits of digital payment products.
Andhra Pradesh gets new High Court
• Andhra Pradesh got its own High Court on December 26, 2018. It will start functioning from January 1.
• Ministry of Law and Justice notified the constitution of the High Court in Amaravati.
• Andhra Pradesh High Court will be the 25th High Court in the country.
• Hyderabad High Court has been functioning as common high court for Telangana and Andhra Pradesh till now after bifurcation of undivided Andhra Pradesh.
• Telangana was carved out of the state in 2014, with Hyderabad as its capital.
IIT-Bombay alumnus Rajesh Subramaniam named president and CEO of FedEx
• Indian-American Rajesh Subramaniam was named as the President and Chief Executive Officer of US multinational courier delivery giant, FedEx Express.
• Subramaniam, currently the Executive Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer of FedEx Corporation, will assume his new role on January 1, 2019.
• He replaces David L Cunningham at the Tennessee-headquartered company.
• Subramaniam, an IIT-Bombay graduate from Thiruvananthapuram, has been with FedEx for more than 27 years. He has held various executive-level positions in the company.
DIPP Swachch Bharat Grand Challenge Awards presented
• As part of the Swachhta Pakhwada held in November 2018, the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) organised a Swachch Bharat Grand Challenge.
• This was organized to reward innovative solutions by DIPP recognised Start-ups in the country.
• Four areas of sanitation, waste management, water and wastewater management and air management were selected for the grand challenge.
• One hundred sixty-five applications were received from 70 districts in 22 states.
• Unique solutions were received from start-ups who had also filed for intellectual property rights.
• The 1st Prize money for the Swachch Bharat Grand Challenge was Rs 2 lakh along with a certificate of appreciation.
Afghanistan postpones presidential election
• Afghanistan's election commission postponed the presidential election, initially scheduled for April 2019, for several months.
• The elections were postponed to allow time to fix technical problems that surfaced during 2018 October's parliamentary elections.
• Abdul Aziz Ibrahimi, deputy spokesman for the election commission, said that more time is needed to train staff on a biometric identification system to reduce fraud.
• The verification of voter lists also requires more time.
Government reviews guidelines for FDI in E- commerce
• The Government has reviewed guidelines for Foreign Direct Investment in E- commerce companies to protect the interests of domestic players.
• It undertook host of steps and barred e-commerce companies from selling products of the companies in which they have stake.
• It prohibited e-commerce companies from entering into an agreement for exclusive sale of products.
• Cash back provided to buyers by group companies of marketplace entity shall be fair and non-discriminatory.
• The E-commerce entities providing marketplace will not directly or indirectly influence the sale price of goods or services and shall maintain level playing field.
• These decisions will come into effect from February 2019.