The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on 6 November 2017 approved the appointment of revenue secretary Hasmukh Adhia as the new Finance Secretary of the country.
Adhia would be succeeding Ashok Lavasa, who announced his retirement last month. The new appointment was announced through an order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training.
According to the committee, the senior most secretary in the Finance Ministry is designated as the Finance Secretary.
The Union Ministry of Finance comprises five departments, the secretaries of which are as follows:
Expenditure: Ajay Narayan Jha
Economic Affairs: Subhash Chandra Garg
Financial Services: Rajiv Kumar
Revenue: Hasmukh Adhia
Department of Investment and Public Asset management: Neeraj Kumar Gupta
While Adhia is a 1981 batch IAS officer, Subhash Chandra Garg is from 1983 batch, Rajiv Kumar from 1984 batch and Ajay Narayan Jha and Neeraj Kumar Gupta are both 1982 batch IAS officers.
About Hasmukh Adhia
• He is 1981 batch IAS officer from Gujarat Cadre. He has also done a PhD in Yoga from Swami Vivekanand Yoga University in Bangalore.
• He is a Gold medallist in post graduate programme in Public Management and Policy (PGP-PMP) from IIM Bangalore.
• Adhia served in several key positions for the Gujarat government including Additional Chief Secretary (Finance), Principal Secretary (Education), Principal Secretary (Transport), Principal Secretary to Chief Minister of Gujarat and as the District Magistrate and Collector of Bhavnagar and Surat districts.
• He also served as the Executive Director of Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam and Managing Director of Gujarat Industrial Investment Corporation (GIIC).
• Under the Union government, he served as the revenue secretary and financial services secretary.
• He has also previously served as a consultant to the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIODO).