The Indian Railways on 12 August 2015 signed four Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs) with Union Ministry of Power and Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy for Cooperation in areas of electricity transmission, energy conservation and promotion of renewable Energy in a time bound manner.
Highlights of the MoUs
MoU for co-operation in the area of Electricity and Energy Conservation between Union Ministry of Power and Indian Railways
• Implementation of Electricity & Energy Efficiency projects for Indian Railways including feasibility, study, construction, operation and maintenance of Electricity & Energy Efficiency projects in a phased manner by optimum utilization of resources of both Parties.
• Co-operation for construction, operation and maintenance of transmission lines for connection with Railway substation through the PSUs.
• Facilitating sharing of information, experiences, knowledge and training of staff and officers of Railways at their own cost on identified subjects or through organization of joint workshops, conferences.
• Exchange of Scientific and Technological information and data, training of scientific and technical personnel’s, implementation of joint research for achieving energy conservation on Indian Railways.
MoU between Indian Railways and Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy
• Conceptualization, structuring, implementation, Operation and Maintenance of Renewable Energy Projects in phased manner by optimum utilization of resources of both Parties.
• Implementation of Renewable Energy projects at different Indian Railways premises (Railway stations, yards, offices, workshops and residential complexes & other installations) .
• Both parties may also recognize the importance of available Renewable Energy resource for industrial and thermal applications.
MoU between Indian Railways and Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
• Co-operation in implementation of energy conservation projects for targeted achievement of energy savings over Indian Railways and development of long term road map.
• Replacement with energy efficient equipments and technology innovation on non-commercial basis for encouragement to Zonal Railways on energy conservation measures.
• Finalization of concept of papers on present technologies and their usages in Railways.
MOU between Railway Energy Management Company Limited (REMCL) and Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL)
• EESL will undertake Energy Audits of Railway Building, assess potential of energy savings through techno-commercially viable energy efficiency measures as may be mutually agreeable.
• Finalisation of Technical Specifications of various energy efficient equipments such as LED Lights, Air Conditioners, Ceiling fans, Water pumps, Automatic Power Factor Correction panels, Compressors etc. to be deployed in the relevant projects.
• EESL will assist in procurement on competitive bidding basis as per public procurement norms ensuring the technical performance of newly installed equipments as per design specifications.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Indian Railways
When: 12 August 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.