Indu Bhushan was on March 27, 2018 appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Union Government’s ambitious Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Mission (ABNHPM).
Bhushan has been appointed to the post for a period of two years.
About Indu Bhushan
• Bhushan is currently the Director General of East Asia Department, Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Manila, Philippines. He was appointed to the position in October 2017.
• Prior to this, he was the Director General of the Strategy and Policy Department, which leads the preparation and coordination of Asian Development Bank’s corporate strategy and policies, resource mobilization and allocation and results management.
• Bhushan has been with the ADB since 1997.
• In terms of academics, he holds a Ph.D. in Economics and Master of Health Sciences from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
About Ayushman Bharat mission
• The Union cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 21, 2018 approved the launch of the Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Mission.
• The scheme has the benefit cover of Rs 5 lakh per family per year. The cover will take care of almost all secondary care and tertiary care procedures.
• The scheme aims to target over 10 crore families belonging to poor and vulnerable population based on the 2011 Socio-Economic and Caste Census database. There will be no cap on family size and age in the scheme.
• The benefit cover will also include pre and post-hospitalisation expenses. All pre-existing conditions will be covered from day one of the policy.
• A defined transport allowance per hospitalization will also be paid to the beneficiary.
• The scheme will also allow the beneficiary to take cashless benefits from any public or private empanelled hospitals across the country.