17 October: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was observed on 17 October 2017 with the theme ‘Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies’.
About International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
• The theme for this year’s commemoration is reminiscent of the importance of the values of dignity, solidarity and importance of voice to fight and end poverty everywhere.
• This year’s celebration also marks the 25th anniversary of the declaration of the day by the UN General Assembly, which had adopted the resolution on 22 December 1992.
• It also marks the 30th anniversary of the ‘Call to Action’ by Father Joseph Wresinski—which inspired the observance of October 17 as the World Day for Overcoming Extreme Poverty—and the recognition by the United Nations of the day as the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
• These values are also evident in the United Nations’ Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development that has set poverty eradication as the overarching objective and obligated all countries to end poverty in all forms.
• This year’s event is organized in partnership with the International Movement ATD Fourth World, the NGO Committee for Social Development and the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, supported by the Missions of France and Burkina Faso to the United Nations.
About The Call to Action of October 17
The Call to Action of October 17 was launched thirty years ago and it is recorded in the text on the Commemorative Stone at the Trocadero Human Rights Plaza in Paris.
Founder of Call to Action, Father Joseph Wresinski said, “Wherever men and women are condemned to live in extreme poverty, human rights are violated. To come together to ensure that these rights be respected is our solemn duty.”
International Movement ATD (All Together for Dignity) Fourth World
• Founded by a priest, Fr. Joseph Wresinski, in 1957 the International Movement ATD Fourth World is a nonprofit organization.
• It aims at the eradication of poverty through a human-rights based approach.
What: Observed globally
When: 17 October 2017