Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli is the sole Indian sportsperson to feature in the 2017 Forbes list of ‘The World’s highest paid athletes’.
Kohli has been ranked 89th among the 100 top-earning athletes with a total pay of $22 million that includes $3 million from salary and winnings and another $19 million from endorsements.
Forbes has described the Kohli as the ‘Indian cricket phenom’ and said that the sports star has ‘for good reason’ already drawn comparisons to all-time great Sachin Tendulkar. It also added that Kohli has continuously shattered batting records and in 2015 was named the captain of the Indian national team, making him one of the youngest players to ever hold the job.
It also noted that last year Kohli made nearly $1 million in salary and match fees from his national team play and he’s also among the Indian Premier League’s highest-paid players with $2.3 million salary from the Royal Challengers Bangalore.
“The vast majority of his income, however, comes from one of the sports world’s most impressive sponsorships portfolios,” stated Forbes.
• The featured athletes, all belong to 11 different sports and hail from 21 countries spread across the world.
• Right at the top of the list is Soccer star Christiano Ronaldo with a total pay of 93 million dollars.
• American basketball star LeBron James comes in at the 2nd spot with $86.2 million, followed by Argentine footballer Lionel Messi at the 3rd spot with 80 million, tennis star Roger Federer at 4th spot with 64 million and American basketball player Kevin Durant at the 5th with 60 million.
• The list of top-earning 100 stars is however, male dominated, as it has only one woman sports star.
• Tennis star Serena Williams, who comes in at the 51 spot with $27 million, is the sole female athlete to make the cut this year.
• Golf legend Tiger Woods with 37 million comes in at the 17th spot.
• The list also includes tennis greats Novak Djokovic (16) and Rafael Nadal (33), basketball player Anthony Davis (44) and soccer star Wayne Rooney (70).
Further, Forbes stated that the 100 highest-paid sports stars earned a cumulative $3.11 billion over the past 12 months, which is one percent less than last year. The earnings figures include salaries, prize money and bonuses earned between June 2016 and June 2017.
Who: Virat Kohli