P.R. Vasudeva Rao became the Director of the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) at Kalpakkam on 31 January 2013. He succeeded S.C Chetal, who has now retired.
Dr. Rao was earlier the Director, Chemistry Group in IGCAR and is also a specialist in the field of actinide chemistry as well as a few areas of chemistry of nuclear fuel cycle. In IGCAR, Dr. Rao led various R&D programmes related to the field of chemistry.
About Dr. Rao
• Dr. Rao did graduation from Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College, Chennai in 1972.
• He later became a part of the Department of Atomic Energy after he graduated from Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) Training School, Trombay.
• He got his Ph.D. degree in actinide chemistry from Bombay University.
• In 1978, after resigning from BARC, he joined IGCAR. He played a crucial role in establishing Radiochemistry Laboratory in IGCAR.
• Various awards were bagged by him which also include Indian Nuclear Society award in 2007.
• Dr. Rao’s specialty is designing and developing breeder reactors.