The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee presented the Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations at a Defence Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 20 March 2017.
The prestigious ceremony saw in attendance prominent dignitaries including Indian Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Union Minister for Defence.
The President conferred 1 Kirti Chakra and 12 Shaurya Chakras to Armed Forces Personnel for displaying exemplary leadership, an extreme presence of mind, conspicuous gallantry and courage beyond the call of duty. From the total, Six Shaurya Chakras were given posthumously.
He also conferred 15 Param Vishisht Seva medals, 3 Uttam Yuddh Seva medals, 1 Bar to Ati Vishisht Seva medal and 22 Ati Vishisht Seva medals to senior officers of the Armed forces to acknowledge their exceptional service.
Following are the names of some winners:
• Major Rohit Suri, the Parachute Regiment
• Naik Bir Singh, 21st Battalion, the Parachute Regiment (Special Forces)
• Captain Gaurav Sharad Jadhav, Regiment of Artillery/ 36th Battalion, the Rashtriya Rifles
• Major Rahul Dev Singh, the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles/ 3rd Battalion, the Rashtriya Rifles
• Sepoy Hari Chettri, the Mechanized Infantry/ 9th Battalion, the Rashtriya Rifles
• Corporal Gursevek Singh, Indian Air Force (Security) (Posthumous)
• Nair Shinde Shankar Chandrabhan, the Maratha Light Infantry/ 41st Battalion, the Rashtriya Rifles (Posthumous)
• Captain Tushar Mahajan, 9th Battalion, the Parachute Regiment (Special Forces) (Posthumous)
• Captain Pawan Kumar, 10th Battalion, the Parachute Regiment (Special Forces) (Posthumous)
• Lance Naik Om Parkash, 9th Battalion, the Parachute Regiment (Special Forces) (Posthumous)
• Ashu Singh, CHME (Posthumous)
• Lieutenant Colonel Atul Gupta, the Mahar Regiment/ 30th Battalion, the Rashtriya Rifles
• Captain Ashik M B, First Battalion of the Fifth Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Forces)
• Naib Subedar Vijay Kumar, the Parachute Regiment
Full list of winners
Aside from being the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee is also the Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.