Rajnath Singh elected as the new National President of Bhartiya Janata Party
Rajnath Singh on 23 January 2013 was appointed as the National President of BJP and he replaced outgoing President Nitin Gadkari to be at the post.
Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) on 23 January 2013 elected Rajnath Singh as its new President. His appointment to the post was announced by Thawar Chand Gehlot, the Central Election Officer at the headquarters of the party, at New Delhi.
Rajnath Singh replaced Nitin Gadkari, who served the party as its President for a period of three years from December 2009 to January 2013.
About Rajnath Singh
• He has served BJP as its former National President from December 2005 to November 2009
• He entered politics in 1974 and was elected as an MLA in UP Assembly in 1977
• In 1983, he became a State Secretary of Uttar Pradesh BJP and in 1984 became the State President of BJP's Youth Wing (BJYM).
• In 1988, Rajnath Singh was elected as the Member of Legislative Assembly for UP Legislative Council in 1988
• He became Education Minister in Uttar Pradesh 1991 and during his tenure he introduced some landmark reforms like the Anti Copying Act and Vedic Mathematics in the syllabus and correction of various portions of' history textbooks
• He was elected as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on 28th October 2000
• He have been the MLA from Haidargarh constituency in Barabanki, two times
• He was appointed as the Union Minister of Agriculture and subsequently for Food Processing on 24th May 2003 during his term in the office; he initiated a few projects like Kisan Call Centre and Farm Income Insurance Scheme.