Ringside With Vijender: Rudraneil Sengupta
The book titled Ringside With Vijender authored by Rudraneil Sengupta released on 8 July 2016.
The book, published by Juggernaut Books, throws light on the Beijing Olympics bronze medallist boxer Vijender Singh's life post his transition to the world of pro boxing.
The book also deals with the boxer’s sudden decision to turn pro just an year ahead of the Rio Olympics. It also offers an insight into his struggles, changes in his boxing style, training and his personal life.
About Vijender Singh
• Vijender Singh is an Indian professional boxer.
• He practised boxing at the Bhiwani Boxing Club.
• He was coached by the Indian Boxing Coach Gurbaksh Singh Sandhu.
• At the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, he won the bronze.
• At the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, he won bronze medal by defeating Carlos Gongora of Ecuador. It was the first ever Olympic medal for an Indian boxer.
• In 2009, he participated at the World Amateur Boxing Championships where he won the bronze medal.
• On 29 June 2015, he bid adieu to his amateur career by turning professional as he signed a multi-year agreement with Queensberry Promotions through IOS Sports and Entertainment.
• His decision to turn pro ruled him out of 2016 Olympics as he no longer remains eligible as an amateur.
Who is Rudraneil Sengupta?
• Rudraneil Sengupta is the deputy editor of Lounge, the weekly feature magazine of Mint.
• He spent many hours and days with Vijender in England for writing the book.
• In 2008, he was awarded the Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism for a documentary on river rafting in India.
• In 2015, he won the Society of Publishers or Asia (SOPA) award for excellence in reporting on human rights issues.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App