Sivaramakrishnan committee constituted by the Union Government to suggest the place to build the capital city of Andhra Pradesh submitted its report on 27 August 2014 to the Home Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi.
The committee gave options about the capital and positive and negative points of the places. But the committee did not Zero in on any particular place for the capital. It only mentioned the availability of lands and other factors.
Interestingly, the committee objected Vijayawada to be the capital, in the context of the AP government transferring certain departments to Vijayawada, declaring it as the future capital.
Highlights of the Report
• Opined the capital could be between Marturu and Vinukonda.
• It also proposed Musunuru, Mangalagiri, Macherla, Gollapally, Vinukonda, Marturu, Donakonda, Pulichintala as suitable for Capital regions.
• Referred three zones set up for the capital.
• Opposed the building of Super City or Smart City.
• Said that capital between Vijayawada-Guntur is incorrect because it would bring up economic and environmental problems.
• It also opined that farmers and laborers are more Krishna and Guntur districts and would make it difficult for land acquisition and would benefit only realtors and the traffic in Vijayawada-Guntur-Mangalagiri- tenali cities is likely to be higher.
• Road connectivity should be increased on the banks of river Krishna.
• It suggested, to divide, Andhra Pradesh into four parts.They should be Uttara Andhra (Northern Andhra), Madhya Andhra (Central Andhra), Coastha Andhra(Coastal Andhra) and Rayalaseema.
• As per committee, Uttara Andhra comprises Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam and East Godavari, Madhya Andhra comprises West Godavari, Krishna and Guntur districts, Coastha Andhra comprises Nellore and Prakasam districts and Rayalaseema comprises YSR Kadapa, Kurnool, Anantapur and Chittoor districts.
• Vishakhapatnam should be set up as a high-tech zone and 109 office should be set up in its zone.
• High Court should be set up in Visakhapatnam and a High Court Bench should be in either Anantapur or Kurnool.
• Kalahasthi Zone to be set up as the Railway Zone. Guntur-Chennai Central Railway corridor to be set up.
• Assembly, secretariat, the chief minister's office should be set up in the capital city.
• It urged to do justice to Kurnool, as it was a capital in the past for the state of Andhra.
• Mangalagiri area has less reserved forest.
About Sivaramakrishnan Committee
• Union government has set up five-member committee under the chairmanship of former Home Secretary K. Sivaramakrishnan to suggest the place to build the capital city of Andhra Pradesh.
• The other members of the committee are Rathin Roy, Aromar Revi, Jagan Shah and K.T. Ravindran.
• The committee will travel around the state of Andhra Pradesh and suggest a suitable place to be the new capital of Andhra Pradesh by 31 August 2014.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group
Where: in New Delhi
When: 27 August 2014