Social Justice Ministry organises ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment organised a ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ on May 6 at Huda Convention Centre in Faridabad, Haryana.
The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment organised a ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ on May 6, 2018 at Huda Convention Centre in Faridabad, Haryana.
The programme was organised by DEPwD in association with Indian Red Cross Society and Sarvodaya Hospital & Research Centre. The Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, Krishan Pal Gurjar was the Chief Guest in the programme.
Speaking on the occasion, Krishan Pal Gurjar said that under the Assistance to Disabled persons (ADIP) scheme of the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), there is a provision for Cochlear Implant surgeries of hearing impaired children up to the age of 5 years at the cost of Rs 6.00 Lakhs per unit.
He added that after successful Cochlear implant surgeries, the child is able to hear and speak like normal children.
The event named Swar Swagtam was of great importance to create awareness among the public about the Cochlear Implant Programme under the Assistance to Disabled persons (ADIP) scheme of the Department.
About Cochlear Implant
• The cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly or severely deaf in both ears;
• The modern technology mainly aims to help young children who have severe to profound deafness in both ears, as due to hearing impairment, they are not able to speak.
• With the help of the implant, such children will not only be able to hear normally through one ear but with post surgical rehabilitation, they will be able to speak also.
Cost of the Implant
The Cochlear Implants are costly and not affordable.
Hence, the Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry has introduced Cochlear Implant programme under revised scheme of Assistance to Disabled Persons for purchase/fitting of aids and appliances (ADIP) for the poor and needy young children.
• With the implementation of Cochlear Implant program by the Ministry through Ali Yavar Jung National Institute of Speech and Hearing Disabilities (Divyangjan), Mumbai, around 1149 surgeries (916 under ADIP Scheme and 233 under CSR) have been conducted across India during the last 4 years, from 2014-15 to 2017-18.
• Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for Speech and Hearing Disabilities (AYNISHD), Mumbai is the Nodal Agency for Cochlear Implant Surgeries.
• The government has also empanelled 172 hospitals all over India to conduct the cochlear implant surgery.
• Most significant outcome of this program is reduction in the cost of implantation.
• The applicants have to apply based on advertisement/details on the website - adipcochlearimplant.in.