Two Indian warships INS Mumbai and INS Aditya arrived in Alexandria, the Mediterranean port city in Egypt on 5 May 2017.
The warships visited Egypt as a part of Indian Navy's overseas deployment to the Mediterranean Sea and the west coast of Africa. They are a part of Indian Navy's Western Naval Command based in Mumbai.
• Upon their arrival, the warships engaged extensively in professional interactions with the Egyptian navy.
• The ships also engaged in a number of sports and social engagements with their Egyptian counterparts.
• India and Egypt being two of the world’s most ancient civilisations have shared a rich history of close contact.
• Both nations have developed warm relations in several spheres.
• The training cooperation between the militaries of the two nations exists at the highest levels.
Hence, this visit by the two warships only further enhances the cooperation and understanding between the two countries. The warships would be leaving the city on 8 May 2017, after completing their 3-day visit.