The Union Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Minister Radha Mohan Singh on 27 December 2017 launched Livestock Disease Forewarning - Mobile Application (LDF - Mobile App).
During the launch, Union Agriculture Ministry also informed that dreaded Rinderpest disease has been eradicated from India and stressed the need to control and eradicate diseases like FMD, PPR, Brucellosis, CSF, BT, HS etc., which cause huge economic loss annually to the livestock industry.
Mobile Application on Livestock Disease Forewarning
• The LDF - Mobile App was developed by ICAR- National Institute of Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics (ICAR - NIVEDI), Bengaluru.
• ICAR-NIVEDI identified 13 priority diseases based on their past incidence patterns and built a strong database of these diseases on the app.
• The organisation has been providing monthly livestock disease alerts to the state and central animal husbandry departments.
• ICAR-NIVEDI used this Monthly Bulletin system to send out early warning.
• The app considers both climatic and non-climatic factors and categorizes districts into Very High Risk, High Risk, Moderate Risk, Low Risk, Very Low Risk and No Risk for a particular disease so that stakeholders can effectively plan and utilize the available resources.
• The app will also provide information about clinical samples for the diagnosis in case of the epidemic for immediate action.
• This app works on all kind of Android smartphones and takes up 2.5 MB space in the device.
• The app will be beneficial for the consumers and stakeholders engaged in disease control programmes.
Who: Union Goverment
When: 27 December 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.