The Union Government announced on February 21, 2018 that it has issued an order for the setting up of the ‘Niti Forum for North-East’.
The forum will have its Secretariat in the Ministry of DoNER.
Composition of the Forum
The forum will be co-chaired by the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog and Minister of State (I/C), Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER).
The members of the forum would include:
- Secretaries of Government Ministries including Transport, Railways, Power, Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, New & Renewable Energy, Health & Family Welfare, Human Resource Development, Environment and Forest & Climate Change.
- Chief Secretaries of north-eastern states of Assam, Sikkim, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Manipur, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram.
- Secretary, North East Council (NEC), Shillong and Joint Secretary (NE), MHA along with a number of experts from various fields.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
• The main task of the forum would be to identify various constraints on the way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the North East Region of the country.
• It will also be required to recommend suitable interventions for addressing the identified constraints.
• It will also review the development status in the North East Region.
• It may also examine and address any other issue that is of importance.
• The forum would also be required to devise its own procedure to conduct its business/meetings/fields visits or constitution of Sub-Groups.
Who: Union Government