Union Government sets up ‘NITI Forum for Northeast’
The Union Government has issued an order to set up the Niti Forum for the North East Region. The forum’s main task will be to identify various constraints on the way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the North East Region of the country.
The Union Government announced on February 21, 2018 that it has issued an order for the setting up of the ‘Niti Forum for North-East’.
The forum will have its Secretariat in the Ministry of DoNER.
Composition of the Forum
The forum will be co-chaired by the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog and Minister of State (I/C), Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER).
The members of the forum would include:
- Secretaries of Government Ministries including Transport, Railways, Power, Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, New & Renewable Energy, Health & Family Welfare, Human Resource Development, Environment and Forest & Climate Change.
- Chief Secretaries of north-eastern states of Assam, Sikkim, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Manipur, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram.
- Secretary, North East Council (NEC), Shillong and Joint Secretary (NE), MHA along with a number of experts from various fields.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
• The main task of the forum would be to identify various constraints on the way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the North East Region of the country.
• It will also be required to recommend suitable interventions for addressing the identified constraints.
• It will also review the development status in the North East Region.
• It may also examine and address any other issue that is of importance.
• The forum would also be required to devise its own procedure to conduct its business/meetings/fields visits or constitution of Sub-Groups.