WADA and China signed MoU on Performance Enhancing Drugs
The World Anti-Doping Agency selected China for partnership as the country became a hub of illegal manufacture and supply of PEDs.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the General Administration of Sport of China (GASC) on 22 September 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Performance-Enhancing Drugs (PEDs).
The purpose of the MoU is to enhance the cooperation between the WADA and Chinese authorities in eliminating illegal manufacture and supply of PEDs.
Key features of the Agreement
• It will help track and eliminate the illegal manufacture and supply of PEDs and also raw materials for the production of PEDs in China.
• WADA and INTERPOL will be instrumental in providing information to Chinese law enforcement about illegal manufacturers and suppliers of PEDs across China.
• It will allow anti-doping authorities worldwide to use information they receive from Chinese and other global government agencies to investigate possible anti-doping rule violations under the revised World Anti-Doping Code.
• Under the agreement, GASC will develop formal links with organizations from across the Chinese law enforcement industry and counterparts worldwide including the Chinese Anti-Doping Agency.
• World Customs Organization (WCO) that has formal partnerships with WADA will also play a role in achieving objective of this agreement.
Why WADA chosen China?
The MoU follows the recent US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA’s) Operation Cyber Juice on steroid and PED operation in which majority of substances originated from Chinese laboratories.
Under the operation, it was proved that a large volume of doping products was obtained via the internet from Chinese chemical manufacturing companies and laboratories.
The partnership signifies a significant breakthrough in the joint law enforcement-anti-doping effort to clamp down on the illegal production of PEDs in China, which are then exported to the outside world and all too often reach the hands of athletes.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App