In your day-to-day life you will come across many situations where you will be required to ask for directions or give directions to someone in English. In this video we will share some common and easy phrases that will help you to effectively give directions and receive directions in Simple English.
Here are some phrases and expressions that can be used while asking for directions:
• How can I get to the Metro Station from here?
• Could you tell me how to get to the Railway Station?
• Can you show me the way to the Hospital?
• Excuse me! Do you know where the bookstore is?
• What’s the best way to get to the Community Centre?
• What’s the fastest way to reach the Airport?
• How far is it to the stadium from here?
• Excuse me! Where is the Post Office?
• What street is this?
• Is this the way to the Police Station?
• Is there a Supermarket near here?
• Can you give me directions to the nearest Petrol Pump?
• Are we on the right road for Jaipur?
• How far is it to the Temple from here?
• Is it a long way to walk?
Here are some phrases and expressions that can be used while giving directions:
• It’s this / that way.
• Take this / that road.
• Yes, you are going in the right direction.
• No, you are going the wrong way.
• It is just around the corner.
• It is quite near.
• It is not far from here.
• Take the second on the right.
• Take the left at the traffic lights.
• Go past the girls’ high school.
• Go straight ahead for about half a kilometer.
• The fire station will be on your left.
• The library will be on your right.
• Yes, it is quite a long way. You will have to hire a taxi.
• It is about a kilometer from here.
Let us learn through a conversation how one can ask for or give directions in Simple English:
Hello, could you please tell me where the nearest McDonald’s here is?
Yes, it is not far from here.
Can you tell me the route from here?
Yes, of course.
Which way do I have to go now?
You need to go straight on this road.
Do I need to take any turn?
Take a left from t-point and then first right.
After that take first left and then go straight.
McDonald's will be on your left side.
How far is McDonald's from here?
It is around 3 km away from here.
Will there be a lot of traffic in that area?
Yes, you will find traffic there.
Thank you for helping me.
So, now you know how easy it is to ask for or give directions in Simple English. Mantra is to be confident in your conversations and don’t hesitate to ask for or give directions in English.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.