Learn English: Simple Phrases for Giving Opinion
Giving an opinion to somebody means sharing your views about something. It can be based on a fact or one’s knowledge. There are many smart ways in which one can give his or her opinion. For expressing a personal point of view the following phrases should be used:
• “In my experience…”
• “As far as I am concerned…”
• “I am absolutely convinced…”
• “Speaking for myself…”
• “In my opinion…”
• “Personally, I think…”
• “I would say that…”
• “I would suggest that…”
• “I would like to point out that…”
• “I believe that…”
• “What I mean is…”
• “It is obvious to me…”
Let us learn through some examples that how we can share our opinion in real life situations in a layman’s language:
Here are some expressions to be used while giving opinion in the office during meetings, presentations, etc.:
• In my opinion meeting should start at 10 am tomorrow.
• I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.
• Personally, I liked your presentation.
• I think it will be good to start the discussion at 4 pm.
• I was under the impression that your flight is at 8:30 am.
• I agree! We can carpool to office daily.
• In my opinion, the team should be divided in two.
• I feel it's really tough to make presentation in one day.
• I would say that Rohit performed really well in this project.
• I am sure we can achieve targets by making new clients.
Here are some expressions to be used while giving opinion at home during family conversations:
• I think we should take kids to park.
• I can't agree with you more.
• I agree on sending kids to activity classes.
• In my opinion we should speak with the Resident Welfare Association (RWA).
• I am sure kids will perform well in exams.
PARTIES OR SOCIAL GATHERINGS
Here are some expressions to be used while giving opinion in social gatherings:
• I must say that this hairstyle suits you.
• I liked the article in newspaper.
• I really liked that TV Show.
• In my opinion we should go out on a vacation.
• Weather in Manali will be good next month; I think we should go there.
SCHOOL OR COLLEGE
Here are some expressions to be used while giving opinion in school or college amongst your friends or teachers:
• I am sure that you will get good results this year.
• In my belief you should go for Masters Degree.
• I guess finishing the tough subjects first will help.
• I feel pursuing Masters Degree is a good idea.
• I believe we should complete syllabus before exams.